Chalk Farm Parade, NW3
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar
Chalk Farm has nothing to do with chalk at all. Though there once was a farm...Print-friendly version of this page
Chalk Farm's name, deceptively rural, derives from the name of the village on its site, Chalcot. These days it absorbs the spread from Camden Town and has many lively pubs, live music venues, and restaurants. Within London it is best known as the site of The Roundhouse, a former circular railway engine shed which was subsequently converted for arts and performance use.
Chalk Farm station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR). Trains originally operated between Golders Green and Charing Cross tube station, with extensions to Edgware and Kennington in 1923 and 1926, respectively.
View copyright notice