Charlotte Street was laid out in the mid 18th century on open fields.
The boundaries of those original fields and an existing pattern of land ownership can still be discerned from the orientation of Rathbone Street
Charlotte Street, started in 1763, was named in honour of Queen Charlotte who married King George III in 1761. A typical 18th century grid of streets was laid out in the area, distorted by the line of Rathbone Street
and the north end of Newman Street
The street blocks were set out in small scale domestic plots for the erection of houses. By the end of the 19th century, the area was no longer completely residential, and plots were frequently amalgamated for the erection of larger commercial and semi-industrial buildings or for the erection of mansion blocks.