East India Dock Road is an important artery connecting the City of London to Essex, and partly serves as the high street of
It takes it name from the former East India Docks and its route was constructed between 1806 and 1812 as a branch of the Commercial Road. The road begins in the west at Burdett Road and continues to the River Lea bridge in the east in Canning Town.
It laid within the parish of Limehouse with the western end in the former Gravel Pit Field.
The westernmost end, west of Stainsby Road
and Birchfield Street was built up between 1847 and 1853 (north side) and 1850 and 1860 (south side).