Lambeth North

Underground station, existing between 1906 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
52.201.27.211 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Underground station · Lambeth North · SE1 ·
November
4
2012
Lambeth North is the area surrounding the Imperial War Museum.

Since the 19th century North Lambeth has been one of the names to describe the area around Waterloo station and the shopping district around Lower Marsh market, which was the heart of the original Lambeth village. This area contains many business premises and nationally important locations such as St Thomas' Hospital, the London Eye, the Royal National Theatre, the Royal Festival Hall, County Hall, Lambeth Palace, and the Imperial War Museum.

Lambeth North tube station serves the area. Designed by Leslie Green, the station was opened by the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway on 10 March 1906, with the name Kennington Road. It served as the temporary southern terminus of the line until 5 August 1906, when Elephant & Castle station was opened. The station's name was changed to Westminster Bridge Road in July 1906 and it was again renamed, to Lambeth North, in April 1917.

At 4am on 16 January 1941, a German Satan 1800 kg general-purpose bomb hit a hostel at nearby 92 Westminster Bridge Road. The shock-wave severely damaged the southbound platform tunnel injuring 28 people sheltering there, one of whom died in hospital 15 days later. Thirty-seven rings of the damaged tunnel had to be completely replaced, 15 partially replaced, and 86 feet of platform rebuilt. Traffic through the station resumed after 95 days.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Citations, sources, links and further reading

A history of South East London's suburbs
Gillian Bebbington's 1972 work on street name derivations
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

THE STREETS OF LAMBETH NORTH
Barbel Street, SE1 Barbel Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Burdett Street, SE1 Burdett Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Centaur Street, SE1 Centaur Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Cosser Street, SE1 Cosser Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Greenham Close, SE1 Greenham Close is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Kennington Road, SE1 Kennington Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
King Edward Walk, SE1 King Edward Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Lambeth Road, SE1 Lambeth Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Lambeth Road, SE11 Lambeth Road is a road in the SE11 postcode area
Lambeth Walk, SE1 Lambeth Walk is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Newnham Terrace, SE1 Newnham Terrace is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Oakey Lane, SE1 This is a street in the SE1 postcode area
St. Georges Mews, SE1 St. Georges Mews is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Steam Pump Lane, W4 Steam Pump Lane is a road in the W4 postcode area
Virgil Street, SE1 Virgil Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Whitehorse Mews, SE1 Whitehorse Mews is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.


VIEW THE LAMBETH NORTH AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE LAMBETH NORTH AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE LAMBETH NORTH AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE LAMBETH NORTH AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE LAMBETH NORTH AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Lambeth North

Lambeth North is the area surrounding the Imperial War Museum.

Since the 19th century North Lambeth has been one of the names to describe the area around Waterloo station and the shopping district around Lower Marsh market, which was the heart of the original Lambeth village. This area contains many business premises and nationally important locations such as St Thomas' Hospital, the London Eye, the Royal National Theatre, the Royal Festival Hall, County Hall, Lambeth Palace, and the Imperial War Museum.

Lambeth North tube station serves the area. Designed by Leslie Green, the station was opened by the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway on 10 March 1906, with the name Kennington Road. It served as the temporary southern terminus of the line until 5 August 1906, when Elephant & Castle station was opened. The station's name was changed to Westminster Bridge Road in July 1906 and it was again renamed, to Lambeth North, in April 1917.

At 4am on 16 January 1941, a German Satan 1800 kg general-purpose bomb hit a hostel at nearby 92 Westminster Bridge Road. The shock-wave severely damaged the southbound platform tunnel injuring 28 people sheltering there, one of whom died in hospital 15 days later. Thirty-seven rings of the damaged tunnel had to be completely replaced, 15 partially replaced, and 86 feet of platform rebuilt. Traffic through the station resumed after 95 days.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice