Huson Close, NW3

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1960s

Adamson Road · Ainger Road · Akenside Road · Alban House · Albert Terrace Mews · Albert Terrace · Alexandra Road · Anna Freud Centre · Antrim Grove · Antrim Mansions · Antrim Road · Aspern Grove · Avenue Close · Avenue Road · Baptist Gardens · Baynes Mews · Belsize Avenue · Belsize Court Garages · Belsize Court · Belsize Crescent · Belsize Cresent · Belsize Grove · Belsize Lane · Belsize Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Park Gardens · Belsize Park Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Place · Belsize Square · Belsize Terrace · Benevolent Institution for the Relief of Aged and Infirm Tailors · Boundary Road · Boydell Court · Briary Close · Bridge Approach · Brocas Close · Broxwood Way · Buckland Crescent · Canfield Place · Central Avenue · Central School of Speech and Drama · Chalcot Crescent · Chalcot Gardens · Chalcot Square · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm Parade · Chaston Place · College Crescent · College Cresent · Conybeare · Crossfield Road · Daleham Gardens · Daleham Mews · Dobson Close · Dorman Way · Downside Crescent · Dunboyne Road · Elizabeth Mews · Elsworthy Road · Elsworthy Terrace · Elton Place · England’s Lane · Englands Lane · Erskine Mews · Erskine Road · Eton Avenue · Eton College Road · Eton Court · Eton Garages · Eton Hall · Eton Rise · Eton Road · Eton Villas · Fairfax Mansions · Fairfax Place · Fairfax Road · Fairfax Road · Fellows Road · Finchley Road · Finchley Road · Finchley Road · Fine Arts College · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fitzjohns Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fountain Mews · Freud Museum · Frognal Court · Frognal · Garnett Road · Glenilla Road · Glenloch Road · Glenmore Road · Goldhurst Terrace · Gordon House Road · Gospel Oak · Grafton Terrace · Hall School · Hampstead Green · Hampstead Theatre · Harben Parade · Harben Road · Haverstock Hill · Haverstock School · Hawtrey Road · Herbert Street · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Mansions · Hornby Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Road · Huson Close · Isokon Building · Jade Terrace · King Henry’s Road · King’s College Road · Kingsford Street · Lamble Street · Lambolle Place · Lambolle Road · Lancaster Drive · Lancaster Grove · Lancaster Stables · Lawn Road · Loudoun Road · Lowlands · Lyndhurst Gardens · Lyndhurst Terrace · Maitland Park Road · Maitland Park Villas · Malden Place · Mansfield Road · Mansfield Road · Maresfield Gardens · Marlborough Hill · Marston Close · Martys Yard · McCrone Mews · Meadowbank · Middle Field · Midland Crescent · Modbury Gardens · Naseby Close · Netherhall Gardens · Netherhall House · Netherhall Way · New College Parade · Noel House · Norfolk Road · Northways Parade · Nutley Terrace · Oppidans Mews · Oppidans Road · Ormonde Court · Ormonde Terrace · Ornan Road · Park Hill Road · Parkhill Road · Parkhill Walk · Pax Lodge · Perceval Avenue · Primrose Gardens · Primrose Hill Road · Prince of Wales Road · Princess Mews · Provost Road · Quadrant Grove · Queen’s Grove · Queensmead · Quickswood · Radlett Place · Regent’s Park Road · Rossetti Mews · Rosslyn Mansions · Rudgwick Terrace · Saint George’s Terrace · Sharples Hall Street · South Hampstead High School · Springfield Road · St John’s Wood Park · St Johns Court · St Stephen’s Close · St. Mary’s Town and Country School · Stanbury Court · Steele’s Mews South · Steele’s Road · Strathray Gardens · Sumpter Close · Swiss Cottage · Swiss Terrace · Tasker Road · The Marlowes · Thurlow Terrace · Tobin Close · Trinity Walk · Tudor Close · Two streams meet · Upper Park Road · Wadham Gardens · Wandsworth Place · Waterhouse Close · Winchester Road · Wood Field · Woodland Walk · Woodland Walk · Woronzow Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Belsize Park · NW3 ·
Huson Close is a street in Hampstead.


Belsize Park

The Manor of Belsize dates back to 1317, with the name is derived from French bel assis meaning 'well situated'.

Belsize Manor was built by Daniel O'Neill for his wife, the Countess of Chesterfield, in the 17th century. Urbanisation took place largely between 1852 and 1878, by which time it extended to Haverstock Hill. After World War I, the construction of blocks of flats began, and now a great many of the larger houses are also converted into flats.

Belsize Park underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway as an intermediate station on its line from Charing Cross to Hampstead. It is served by three lifts and there are 219 steps. The station was designed by Leslie Green and has his familiar facade of ox-blood faience with four round arched windows. It remained largely untouched until the late 1980s when the lifts were replaced and a new ticketing system installed.

It was during the 1930s that Belsize Park contributed most to the artistic and intellectual life of Hampstead. Artists associated with the Mall studios included Dame Barbara Hepworth from 1927 to 1939, her first husband John Skeaping and second Ben Nicholson from 1931 to 1939, and Henry Moore, who lived at no. 11A Parkhill Road from 1929 to 1940. They were members of Unit One, a group of artists and architects founded in 1933 by Paul Nash (1889-1946), who lived at no. 3 Eldon Grove from 1936 to 1939. Sir Herbert Read, the poet and art critic, who lived in 1934-5 at the Mall studios, which he described as a 'nest of gentle artists', published the group's manifesto, a theory of modern style.

Another centre was no. 37 Belsize Park Gardens, meeting place of MARS, an architectural group, and home of Jack Pritchard, who founded Isokon, a firm making modern furniture designed by people like Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer, refugees who brought a European dimension to the abstract design movement in the arts. Others included Piet Mondrian, the Dutch painter, who stayed with the Pritchards before moving to no. 60 Parkhill Road (1938-41). Pritchard also commissioned Wells Coates in 1934 to build the Isokon or Lawn Road flats, partly to house artistic refugees, on a site which he owned. Built in concrete in a functional style, the flats came to be recognized as 'a milestone in the introduction of the modern idiom into London'.

In World War II, a large underground air-raid shelter was built here and its entrance can still be seen near the tube station at Downside Crescent. The area on Haverstock Hill north of Belsize Park underground station up to Hampstead Town Hall and including part of a primary school near the Royal Free Hospital was heavily bombed.

Belsize Park these days is a lively area with many restaurants, pubs and cafés along Haverstock Hill and also England's Lane.

Glossary: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, edited by C R Elrington.

Print-friendly version of this page

View copyright notice