Jason Court was part of the ancient village of Marylebone.
Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
The court runs into Marylebone Lane
. A stroll along its twisting course will at once reveal a complete contrast with to the symmetrical layout of the surrounding streets. This very distinctly indicates that it was once nothing more than a pathway along the side of the Tyburn
Brook providing an access route to the village, clustered around the parish church of St Mary. Indeed it is the Tyburn
which gives the area part of its name.
In the middle ages when this was a suburb village, surrounded by fields and well outside the commercial city, a small church, dedicated to St John, was built on the site where Marble Arch
now stands. Almost on its doorstep stood the gallows. Served by the main road of Tyburn
Way (Oxford Street
) it was an easy location to reach and on execution days the area became choked with spectators, all straining to catch a glimpse of the noosed victims. As the crowds gathered, so did the thieves; there were rich pickings to be made from the densely packed throng preoccupied by the gory detail. By the early 15th century the villagers were at the end of their tether and decided to quit St John’s and establish themselves about half a mile up stream where they built a new church. To completely rid themselves of all association with Tyburn
gallows they abandoned the title of St John and dedicated the new church to St Mary.
In those days, when outlying areas were small and local populations were insignificant, places were often identified by the title of the parish church. This area, therefore, came to be known as St Mary by the Bourne. Over the years ’Saint’ has been dropped and ’Mary by the Bourne’ has been corrupted to the present day Marylebone.
John’s Court became Jason Court.
There are a number of little byways in the vicinity of Marylebone Lane
: Hind Mews, just north of Jason Court on the west side of the lane, and between Benting Street and Bulstrode Street
on the east side is Benting Mews. Still further north on the east side of the lane is Bulstrode Place
and a little further on is Cross Keys Close
. To the east of Marylebone Lane
on the north side of Wigmore Street
is Easleys Mews. All are cul-de-sac walkways and provide additional evidence of the ancient origin of this locality.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|ADD A STORY TO JASON COURT|
| ||Read blog|
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.