View north along Westminster Bridge, 1910

Image dated 1898

Abingdon Street · Adam Street · Adelphi Terrace · Aquinas Street · Barbel Street · Barons Place · Baylis Road · Blackfriars Bridge railway station · Blackfriars Road railway station · Blackfriars Road · Boundary Row · Boyfield Street · Broad Sanctuary · Bull Inn Court · Burdett Street · Buses outside the National Gallery · Canon Row · Canterbury Music Hall · Carting Lane · Centaur Street · Charing Cross · Charing Cross · Christ Church · Chubb Court · Cooper Close · Coral Street · Dodson Street · Doon Street · Elmhurstreet Villas · Embankment · Embankment · Exchange Court · Falcon Point Piazza · Florence Nightingale Museum · Frazier Street · Gambia Street · Gaywood Street · George Court · Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park · Gerridge Street · Gladstone Street · Golden Jubilee Bridge · Gray Street · Hercules Road · Holland Street · Hopton Street · Hopton's Almshouses · Horse Guards Parade · Hungerford Bridge · Hungerford Stairs · Invicta Plaza · Ivybridge Lane · Johanna Street · John Adam Street · Jubilee Gardens · Kell Street · Lambeth North · Launcelot Street · Leake Street · London Aquarium · London Borough Of Southwark · London Road · Lower Marsh · Lyndhurstreet Grove · Mepham Street · Millbank · Mitre Road · Morley Street · Murphy Street · Murphy Street · Necropolis Station · Nelson Square · Nicholson Street · Northumberland Avenue · Northumberland Avenue · Northumberland House · Oakey Lane · Old Barge House Alley · Old Vic · Ontario Street · Parliament Square · Peabody Square · Pear Place · Pearman Street · Pelican Estate · Pontypool Place · Price’s Court · Price’s Street · Richmond Terrace · Riverside Walk · Robert Street · Rushworth Street · Saint George’s Road · Saint Martin’s Place · Samford Street · Savoy Hill · Savoy Place · Savoy Place · Savoy Way · Short Street · Silex Street · Southbank Centre Square · Southbank · Southwark · Spring Gardens · St George’s Road · St. Georges Mews · St. James’s Drive · St. Margaret Street · St. Thomas’s Square · Stamford · Station Approach · Steam Pump Lane · Stopher House · Strand Lane · Suthwark Bridge Road · Tanswell Street · Temple Pier · Temple Place · The Adelphi · The Chandlery · The Cut · The Foundry · The Gallery · The Queen’s Steps · The Queen’s Walk · The Queen’s Walk · The Queen’s Walk · The Ring · The Terrace · The Terrace · The Tunnel · Thomas Doyle Street · Trafalgar Square · Ufford Street · Valentine Place · Victoria Embankment Gardens · Victoria Embankment · Victoria Embankment · Victoria Tower Gardens · Villiers Street · Watergate Walk · Waterloo · Waterloo Air Terminal (1953) · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Centre · Webber Row · Webber Street · Westminster · Westminster Abbey · Westminster Bridge Road · Westminster Bridge · Westminster Bridge · Whitehall Gardens · Whitehall · Whittlesey Street · William IV Street · Windmill Walk · York Place · York Road Curve · Young Vic
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Photo/Image · Waterloo · SE1 ·

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



London Waterloo station is a central London railway terminus and London Underground complex. The station is one of 18 in Britain owned and operated by Network Rail and is close to the South Bank of the River Thames.

The London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) opened the station on 11 July 1848 as 'Waterloo Bridge Station' (from the nearby crossing over the Thames) when its main line was extended from Nine Elms. The station, designed by William Tite, was raised above marshy ground on a series of arches. The unfulfilled intention was for a through station with services to the City. In 1886, it officially became Waterloo Station, reflecting long-standing common usage, even in some L&SWR timetables.

It is located in the Waterloo district of London, which was itself named after the Battle of Waterloo in which Napoleon was defeated near Brussels.

As the station grew, it became increasingly ramshackle. The original 1848 station became known as the 'Central Station' as other platforms were added. The new platform sets were known by nicknames - the two platforms added for suburban services in 1878 were the 'Cyprus Station', whilst the six built in 1885 for use by trains on the Windsor line became the 'Khartoum Station'. Each of these stations-within-a-station had its own booking office, taxi stand and public entrances from the street, as well as often poorly marked and confusing access to the rest of the station. This complexity and confusion became the butt of jokes by writers and music hall comics for many years in the late 19th century, including Jerome K. Jerome in Three Men in a Boat.

The present buildings were inaugurated in 1922. Part of the station is a Grade II listed heritage building.

With over 91 million passenger entries and exits between April 2010 and March 2011, Waterloo is easily Britain's busiest railway station in terms of passenger usage. The Waterloo complex is one of the busiest passenger terminals in Europe. It has more platforms and a greater floor area than any other station in the UK (though Clapham Junction, just under 4 miles down the line, has the largest number of trains). It is the terminus of a network of railway lines from Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire, South West England, and the south-western suburbs of London.

Waterloo tube station is, like its namesake, the busiest station on the network and is served by the Bakerloo, Jubilee, Northern and the Waterloo & City lines.

The first underground station at Waterloo was opened on 8 August 1898 by the Waterloo & City Railway (W&CR), a subsidiary of the owners of the main line station, the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR). The W&CR, nicknamed the Drain, achieved in a limited way the L&SWR's original plan of taking its tracks the short distance north-east into the City of London.

On 10 March 1906, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) was opened. On 13 September 1926, the extension of the Hampstead & Highgate line (as the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line was then known) was opened from Embankment to the existing City & South London Railway station Kennington with a new station at Waterloo.

As a subsidiary of the L&SWR and its successor the Southern Railway, the W&CR was not a part of the London Underground system. Following nationalization of the main line railway companies in 1948, it became part of British Railways (later British Rail). Following a period of closure during 1993 when the line was converted to use the four rail electrical system of the London Underground, the ownership of Waterloo & City line was transferred to the Underground on 1 April 1994.

On 24 September 1999, the Jubilee line station was opened as part of the Jubilee Line Extension. The station was temporarily the western terminus of the extension running from Stratford in east London, before the final section to link the extension to the original line was opened between Waterloo and Green Park on 20 November 1999.[9] The Jubilee platforms are at the opposite end of the site from those of the Bakerloo and Northern lines, but the two ends are connected by a 140-metre moving walkway link (one of only two on the Underground - the other gives access to the Waterloo & City line platform at Bank station).

Waterloo station is linked to the South Bank by an elevated walkway. It was once possible to walk directly by elevated walkways and footbridges all the way from the concourse of Waterloo to that of Charing Cross railway station on the north side of the Thames, but the demolition of part of the Waterloo walkway and the reconstruction of the Hungerford Footbridge means that that is no longer possible.
Print-friendly version of this page

View copyright notice