Hatton Garden, EC1N

Road in/near Farringdon, existing between 1581 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.196.208.187 
Agdon Street · Albion Courtyard · Albion Place · Aldersgate Street · Aldwych · Aldwych · All Hallows Bread Street · Amen Court · Attneave Street · Baldwin Gardens · Baldwins Gardens · Baldwins Gardens · Barbican · Benjamin Street · Berry Street · Blackmoore Street (1902) · Bleeding Heart Yard · Boswell Street · Brewery Square · Briset Street · Britton Street · Broad Yard · Brooke Street · Bull and Mouth Street · Carthusian Street · Catherine Griffiths Court · Central Markets · Central School of Ballet · Chancery Lane · Chancery Lane · Charterhouse Bldgs · Charterhouse Mews · Charterhouse Square · Charterhouse Street · Charterhouse Street · City Temple · Clement’s Inn · Clerkenwell · Clerkenwell Road · Cornwell House · Corporation Row · Cowcross Street · Cowcross Street · Cyrus Street · Deans Court · Dombey Street · Doughty Street · Dyer’s Buildings · Eagle Court · Eagle Street · East Harding Street · Ely Court · Ely Place · Exmouth Market · Falcon Court · Farringdon · Farringdon Road · Farringdon Street · Farringdon Street · Faulkners Alley · Fleet Square · Fleet Street looking east (c.1920) · Florin Court · Foundling Hospital · Gate House · Gough Street · Gravel Street · Grays Inn Road · Great Sutton Street · Great Turnstile · Greenhills Rents · Greville St Hatton Garden · Greville Street · Half Moon Court · Hat and Mitre Court · Hatton Garden · Hatton Place · Hatton Square · Hatton Wall · Heathcote Street · Herbal Hill · High Holborn · Holborn · Holborn Viaduct · Holborn · Holsworthy Square · Honduras Street · Houghton Square · Houghton Street (1906) · Houghton Street · John’s Mews · Joseph Close · Kemble Street · Kingsgate Street · Kingsway · Lamb’s Conduit Passage · Lamb’s Conduit Street · Lamb’s Mews · Langton Close · Leather Lane · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lisle’s Tennis Court · Long Lane · Ludgate Circus (1873) · Magpie Alley · Malta Street · Martlett Court · Mecklenburgh Street · Mecklenburgh Street · Middlesex Sessions House · Millman Place · Museum of the Order of St John · New House · New Inn Passage (1901) · New Square Passage · Newington Close · Orange Street · Ormond Close · Pageantmaster Court · Passing Alley · Paton Street · Peabody Trust Estate · Peabody Trust Estate · Penny Bank Chambers · Pensioners Court The Charterhouse · Peters Lane · Phoenix Place · PO Box 67107 · PO Box 71519 · Pooles Buildings · Portpool Lane · Postman's Park · Powis Place · Preachers Court The Charterhouse · Quality Court · Queen Annes Square · Red Lion Court · Regent Square · Regent Square · Rolls Buildings · Saffron Hill · Saint Andrew Street · Saint Cross Street · Saint John Street · Saint John’s Lane · Saint John’s Square · Sardinia Street · Scotswood Street · Serle Street · Showing every photo/image so far featured · Smithfield · Smokehouse Yard · South Square · Southampton Row · Spa Fields Park · St Andrew · St Bartholomew’s Hospital · St Brides Avenue · St Clement’s Passage · St Cross Street · St Cross Street · St Etheldreda’s Church · St John Clerkenwell · St John's Gate · St Johns Lane · St Johns Path · St Johns Place · St John’s Gate · St Paul's · St Paul's Cathedral · St Paul’s Churchyard · St Peter · St Peter’s Italian Church · St. John Street · Staple Inn · Staple Inn Buildings · Strand · Sutton Lane · Sutton Road · Temple Bar · Thavie’s Inn · The Charterhouse · The Horseshoe Path · Theobald’s Road · Tompion Street · Turnmill Street · Turnmills · Verulam Street · Warwick Lane · Waterhouse Square · Wells Square · Westking Place · Whetstone Park · Wild Street (1902) · Wyclif Street · Yorkshire Grey Roundabout · Yorkshire Grey Yard
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Farringdon · EC1N · Contributed by The Underground Map
MARCH
11
2019
Hatton Garden is a street and area noted as London’s jewellery quarter and centre of the UK diamond trade.

The name ’Hatton Garden’ is derived from the garden of Ely Place, the London residence of the Bishop of Ely, which was given to Sir Christopher Hatton by Elizabeth I in 1581, during a vacancy of the see.

The area surrounding Hatton Garden has been the centre of London’s jewellery trade since medieval times. The old City of London had streets, or quarters, dedicated to types of business, and the area around Hatton Garden became a centre for jewellers and jewellery. Nearly 300 businesses in Hatton Garden are in the jewellery industry and over 55 shops represent the largest cluster of jewellery retailers in the UK. The largest of these companies is De Beers, the international family of companies that dominate the international diamond trade. De Beers has its headquarters in a complex of offices and warehouses just behind the main Hatton Garden shopping street. The area also plays host to a large number of media, publishing and creative businesses, including Blinkbox and Grey Advertising.

Hatton Garden has an extensive underground infrastructure of vaults, tunnels, offices and workshops.

Hatton Garden was also the home to the invention of the machine gun. Sir Hiram Maxim had a small factory at 57 Hatton Garden and in 1881 invented and started to produce the Maxim Gun, capable of firing 666 rounds a minute.

The nearby streets including Hatton Place and Saffron Hill have become more residential in recent years with the building of several blocks of ’luxury’ apartments, including Da Vinci House situated in the former "Punch magazine" printworks and the architecturally distinctive Ziggurat Building.

Ely Place, off Hatton Garden, is home to St Etheldreda’s Church – one of the oldest Roman Catholic churches in England and one of only two remaining buildings in London dating from the reign of Edward I. A building with statues of charity school children is a former chapel and parish school, now known as Wren House.

In 1962, Lawrence Graff of Wittelsbach-Graff Diamond fame, opened the first retail jewellery store here.

Source: Wikipedia

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page


 

Farringdon

Farringdon station - the terminus for the very first underground railway in 1863 - is a London Underground and National Rail station in Clerkenwell, just north of the City of London in the London Borough of Islington. It will change significantly when it becomes an important interchange station between the two largest transport infrastructure programmes currently under way in London, the Thameslink Programme and Crossrail, both of which are scheduled for completion in 2018.

Farringdon is partly within the City of London and partly in the London Borough of Islington. The name originates from the names of wards of the old City (Farringdon Within, Farringdon Without).

Today, as a place Farringdon is somewhat ill-defined, its original site and layout having perhaps been lost under later development: little more than the station and a few street names help to locate it now.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice