Mile End - more specifically the turnpike on Whitechapel Road at the crossroads with Cambridge Heath Road
- was situated one mile from Aldgate; hence the name. It was first recorded in 1288 and known as Aldgatestrete
. The area running alongside Mile End Road was known as Mile End Green, and became known as a place of assembly for Londoners, as reflected in the name of Assembly Passage
For most of the medieval period, this road was surrounded by open fields on either side. Speculative developments existed by the end of the 16th century and continued throughout the 18th century. It developed as an area of working and lower-class housing, often occupied by immigrants and migrants new to the city.
Wat Tyler gathered his followers here during the Peasants’ Revolt of 1381.
A Jewish cemetery was established on Mile End Road in 1657 by permission of Oliver Cromwell.
From 1800 onwards, Stepney
expanded towards the southern side of Mile End Road. A district which became known as Mile End New Town developed in an area east of Brick Lane. The houses along Mile End Road became called Mile End Old Town.
Captain’s Cook’s House dates from the eighteenth century, when the land was open upon either side of the Mile End Rd and the masts of ships might been seen by travellers approaching London.
A terrace was built by Anthony Ireland in 1717 and Malplaquet House
built by Thomas Andrews in 1741-2. Nearby Bellevue Place, Maria Terrace and Mile End Place
survive as dignified examples of housing for those employed in local industries, brewery workers and artisans.
It became the fashion for Eastenders to promenade along the Mile End Road at weekends, dressed in their Sunday best and admiring the shop windows.Source: Mile End - Wikipedia
|ADD A STORY TO MILE END ROAD|
The station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel and Bow Railway, a joint venture between the District Railway and the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The new railway connected the District Railway at Whitechapel with the London, Tilbury and Southend at Bow.
Electrified District Railway services started in 1905. Hammersmith and City line services (then part of the Metropolitan line) started in 1936. The station passed to London Underground in 1950.
The layout and design of the station is largely unchanged with many original features intact.