Derry and Toms

Department store in/near High Street Kensington, existed between 1853 and 1973

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.226.175.101 
Abingdon Road · Abingdon Villas · Adam And Eve Mews · Albert Mews · Albert Place · Ansdell Terrace · Argyll Road · Aubrey House · Aubrey Walk · Ball Street · Bedford Gardens · Berkeley Gardens · Biba · Blithfield Street · Boyne Terrace Mews · Bremner Road · Brunswick Gardens · Budge’s Walk · Callcott Street · Cambridge Place · Campden Grove · Campden Hill Gardens · Campden Hill Place · Campden Hill Square · Campden Hill · Chantry Square · Corner of Abingdon Road and Scarsdale Villas · Cornwall Gardens Walk · Cromwell Curve · Cromwell Road · Derry and Toms · Derry Street · Devonshire Place · Douro Place · Duchess of Bedford’s Walk · Earl’s Terrace · Eden Close · Eldon Road · Emperor’s Gate · Essex Villas · Flower Walk · Flower Walk · Gloucester Road · Gloucester Road · Gloucester Walk · Gore Street · High Street Kensington · Hillgate Place · Hillgate Street · Holland Park · Holland Park · Hyde Park Gate Mews · Ilchester Place · Ilchester Place · Iverna Court · Kensington · Kensington Apartment · Kensington Arcade · Kensington Court Gardens · Kensington Court · Kensington Gardens · Kensington Gate · Kensington High Street · Kensington Palace · Kensington Palace Gardens · Kensington Roof Garden · Kensington School · Kensington Square · Launceston Place · Lexham Gardens · Linley Sambourne House · Logan Place · Marloes Road · McLeod’s Mews · Melbury Court · Melbury Court · Nokes Estate · Observatory Gardens · Palace Avenue · Park Close · Pembroke Gardens Close · Pembroke Gardens · Pembroke Gardens · Pembroke Villas · Pembroke Walk · Phillimore Place · Phillimore Walk · Queen’s Gate Mews · Queen’s Gate Terrace · Queen’s Gate · Queen’s Gate Place Mews · Queen’s Gate School · Queen’s Gate · Radnor Terrace · Reston Place · Royal Garden Hotel · Saint Mary Abbot’s Place · Sheep in Kensington Gardens · St Margarets Lane · St Mary Abbot’s · St. Mary Abbot’s Place · St. Mary’s Gate · St. Mary’s Place · Stafford Terrace · Stanford Road · Strangways Terrace · The Broad Walk · The Broadwalk · Thornwood Gardens · Wrights Lane · Wycombe Square · Wynnstay Gardens · York Passage · Young Street
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Department store · High Street Kensington · W8 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
9
2019
Derry & Toms was a London department store.

In 1853 Joseph Toms opened a small drapery shop on Kensington High Street. In 1862 Joseph Toms joined forces with his brother-in-law, Charles Derry to set up Derry & Toms. By 1870 the business had grown to incorporate seven of the surrounding stores, with one of the buildings being used as a mourning department. The company prided itself as being the supplier of goods to the upper class of Kensington.

In 1920 John Barker & Co., the department store next door, acquired Derry & Toms. The firm already owned Pontings, which was adjacent to Derry & Toms on the other side. In 1919 Derry & Toms employed the services of poster artist F Gregory Brown to produce advertising. His advert The Daintiest of Legwear at Derry & Toms sold for £6,240 at Bonhams in 2007.

In 1930 building work was started and the new, seven-storey building on Kensington High Street opened in 1933. The building was designed by Bernard George in an Art Deco style popular at the time, and featured metalwork by Walter Gilbert and panel reliefs, entitled Labour & Technology, by Charles Henry Mabey Jnr. The building is most famous for its Kensington Roof Gardens, which opened in 1938 and still exists today. The garden was designed by landscape architect Ralph Hancock after the Managing Director of Barkers, Trevor Bowen, visited Rockefeller Center in New York. The main restaurant, situated on the fifth floor, was called "The Rainbow Room" and became a venue for thousands of "Dinner & Dances" (banquets), for both private firms and government departments. In 1957 John Barker & Co was bought by House of Fraser, bringing Derry & Toms under their stewardship.

The store was sold in 1971 to Biba. Derry & Toms continued to operate until 1973, when it finally closed. It was replaced in 1974 by Big Biba, which itself closed in 1975. Developer British Land developed the site into offices and shops. The location is now used by Marks & Spencer, H&M, and Gap, and as offices for Sony Music UK and Warner Music Group. In 2012, the American luxury fitness chain Equinox opened its first UK location on the fifth floor. Since 1978 the roof garden has been listed as Grade II, and since 1981 the building has been a Grade II* listed building.

The name of one of the founders of the former store is preserved in Derry Street, an adjacent street.


Read the Derry entry on the Wikipedia...

Source: Wikipedia

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE HIGH STREET KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HIGH STREET KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HIGH STREET KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HIGH STREET KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HIGH STREET KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

High Street Kensington

High Street Kensington is a London Underground station at Kensington High Street.

Kensington High Street is a road (forming part of the A315) in Kensington, west London.

Its western extremity is the eastern end of Hammersmith Road near Kensington (Olympia) station. From here, the road heads east-north-east, past the Commonwealth Institute and High Street Kensington tube station. It forms a junction which Kensington Church Street, which runs to the north, and then continues east to the south-west corner of Kensington Gardens, close by Kensington Palace. Eastward the road becomes Kensington Road.

The stretch between the Commonwealth Institute and Kensington Gardens is a popular shopping area, with chainstores and upmarket shops serving a wealthy catchment area. In 2005 House of Fraser announced that it is closing the 135 year old Barkers department store in the street, meaning that it will have no department stores left after the earlier closures of Pontings and Derry & Toms. The 75,000 square foot premises will be taken over by Whole Foods Market, the American owner of organic supermarket chain Fresh & Wild to become the UK’s first organic superstore.

High Street Kensington station, on the District Line, opened in 1868.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice