Battersea Park

Park in/near Battersea Park, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.95.139.100 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Park · Battersea Park · SW11 ·
FEBRUARY
27
2018





VIEW THE BATTERSEA PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BATTERSEA PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BATTERSEA PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BATTERSEA PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BATTERSEA PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Battersea Park

Battersea Park station was named after the nearby park.

Battersea Park is a 200 acre green space situated on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Chelsea.

Battersea Park station named after the park, and at first called York Road, opened in 1867.

The first station to carry the name Battersea Park had been opened by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway as Battersea in 1860 and was located at the southern end of what is now Grosvenor Bridge.

It was named Battersea Park on 1 July 1862 but was sometimes called Battersea Park and Steamboat Pier. It closed on 1 November 1870 concurrently with the opening of Grosvenor Road station situated at the north end of Grosvenor Bridge.

The London Brighton and South Coast Railway opened a high-level line between Pouparts Junction and Battersea Pier Junction on 1 May 1867 as a means of reducing congestion at Stewarts Lane.

York Road (Battersea) station opened at this time. The station was renamed Battersea Park and York Road 1 January 1877 and Battersea Park on 1 June 1885.
Print-friendly version of this page