Provost Road, NW3

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
107.23.176.162 
Adamson Road · Ainger Road · Akenside Road · Albert Terrace Mews · Albert Terrace · Antrim Grove · Antrim Mansions · Antrim Road · Aspern Grove · Avenue Road · Azania Mews · Baptist Gardens · Baynes Mews · Belsize Avenue · Belsize Court · Belsize Crescent · Belsize Cresent · Belsize Grove · Belsize Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Park Gardens · Belsize Park · Belsize Place · Belsize Square · Belsize Terrace · Benevolent Institution for the Relief of Aged and Infirm Tailors · Briary Close · Bridge Approach · Brocas Close · Buckland Crescent · Castle Mews · Cathcart Hill · Chalcot Crescent · Chalcot Gardens · Chalcot Square · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm Parade · Chalk Farm Road · Chaston Place · Clarence Way · Coity Road · Collard Place · Conybeare · Crossfield Road · Daleham Gardens · Daleham Mews · Downside Crescent · Dunboyne Road · Early Mews · Elizabeth Mews · Elsworthy Road · Elsworthy Terrace · Elton Place · England’s Lane · Englands Lane · Erskine Mews · Erskine Road · Eton Avenue · Eton College Road · Eton Court · Eton Garages · Eton Hall · Eton Rise · Eton Road · Eton Villas · Fellows Road · Fine Arts College · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fitzjohns Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fountain Mews · Garnett Road · Gilbeys Yard · Gilden Crescent · Glenilla Road · Glenloch Road · Glenmore Road · Gordon House Road · Gospel Oak · Grafton Terrace · Hall School · Hampstead Green · Haverstock Hill · Haverstock Road · Haverstock School · Hawtrey Road · Healey Street · Herbert Street · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Mansions · Hornby Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Road · Huson Close · Isokon Building · Juniper Crescent · King Henry’s Road · King’s College Road · Kingsford Street · Lamble Street · Lambolle Place · Lambolle Road · Lancaster Drive · Lancaster Grove · Lancaster Stables · Lawn Road · Lewis Street · Lowlands · Lyndhurst Gardens · Lyndhurst Terrace · Maitland Park Road · Maitland Park Villas · Malden Crescent · Malden Place · Mansfield Road · Mansfield Road · Martys Yard · McCrone Mews · Mead Close · Meadowbank · Midland Crescent · Modbury Gardens · Norfolk Road · Northways Parade · Oppidans Mews · Oppidans Road · Ormonde Court · Ornan Road · Park Hill Road · Parkhill Road · Parkhill Walk · Pax Lodge · Perceval Avenue · Primrose Gardens · Primrose Hill Road · Prince of Wales Road · Prince of Wales Road · Provost Road · Quadrant Grove · Queen’s Crescent · Queens Crescent · Quickswood · Radlett Place · Regent’s Park Road · Regent’s Park Terrace · Regent’s Place Plaza · River Fleet · Saint George’s Terrace · Sharples Hall Street · Southampton Road · Spring Place · St Dominic’s Priory · St. Mary’s Town and Country School · Stanbury Court · Steele’s Mews South · Steele’s Road · Strathray Gardens · Sumpter Close · Talacre Road · Tasker Road · Thurlow Terrace · Tobin Close · Truro Street · Tudor Close · Upper Park Road · Wadham Gardens · Wandsworth Place · Waterhouse Close · Wellesley Road · Wood Field · Woodland Walk · Woodland Walk · Woodyard Close
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Belsize Park · NW3 ·
JANUARY
1
2015
Provost Road is a street in Hampstead.



 

Belsize Park

The Manor of Belsize dates back to 1317, with the name is derived from French bel assis meaning 'well situated'.

Belsize Manor was built by Daniel O'Neill for his wife, the Countess of Chesterfield, in the 17th century. Urbanisation took place largely between 1852 and 1878, by which time it extended to Haverstock Hill. After World War I, the construction of blocks of flats began, and now a great many of the larger houses are also converted into flats.

Belsize Park underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway as an intermediate station on its line from Charing Cross to Hampstead. It is served by three lifts and there are 219 steps. The station was designed by Leslie Green and has his familiar facade of ox-blood faience with four round arched windows. It remained largely untouched until the late 1980s when the lifts were replaced and a new ticketing system installed.

It was during the 1930s that Belsize Park contributed most to the artistic and intellectual life of Hampstead. Artists associated with the Mall studios included Dame Barbara Hepworth from 1927 to 1939, her first husband John Skeaping and second Ben Nicholson from 1931 to 1939, and Henry Moore, who lived at no. 11A Parkhill Road from 1929 to 1940. They were members of Unit One, a group of artists and architects founded in 1933 by Paul Nash (1889-1946), who lived at no. 3 Eldon Grove from 1936 to 1939. Sir Herbert Read, the poet and art critic, who lived in 1934-5 at the Mall studios, which he described as a 'nest of gentle artists', published the group's manifesto, a theory of modern style.

Another centre was no. 37 Belsize Park Gardens, meeting place of MARS, an architectural group, and home of Jack Pritchard, who founded Isokon, a firm making modern furniture designed by people like Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer, refugees who brought a European dimension to the abstract design movement in the arts. Others included Piet Mondrian, the Dutch painter, who stayed with the Pritchards before moving to no. 60 Parkhill Road (1938-41). Pritchard also commissioned Wells Coates in 1934 to build the Isokon or Lawn Road flats, partly to house artistic refugees, on a site which he owned. Built in concrete in a functional style, the flats came to be recognized as 'a milestone in the introduction of the modern idiom into London'.

In World War II, a large underground air-raid shelter was built here and its entrance can still be seen near the tube station at Downside Crescent. The area on Haverstock Hill north of Belsize Park underground station up to Hampstead Town Hall and including part of a primary school near the Royal Free Hospital was heavily bombed.

Belsize Park these days is a lively area with many restaurants, pubs and cafés along Haverstock Hill and also England's Lane.

Glossary: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, edited by C R Elrington.

Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice