Image dated 1857
Print-friendly version of this page
Westbourne Lodge appeared in one of the earliest photographs in London.
This photo from 6 August 1857 shows guests at the wedding of the Reverend Frederick Manners Stopford to Florence Augusta Saunders, daughter of Charles Saunders, first general secretary of the Great Western Railway. Isambard Kingdom Brunel was amongst the guests.Licence:
The house was built before the railway was built but, at the time of the weeding, ran just beside the Lodge.
During the wedding, both Brunel and Saunders were able to experience trains running beside the wedding party along the railway which they had built.
Comparing the 1857 photo with the 1900 map, you can clearly see the conservatory featured on the map.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Royal Oak is a station on the Hammersmith and City Line, between Westbourne Park and Paddington stations, and is the least used station on the Hammersmith and City line.
|VIEW THE ROYAL OAK AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE ROYAL OAK AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE ROYAL OAK AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE ROYAL OAK AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE ROYAL OAK AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
The station opened 30 October 1871 although the Metropolitan Railway extension to Hammersmith had opened in 1864.
It is close to the elevated Westway
section of the A40 road. The station is named after a nearby public house, The Royal Oak
(later The Railway Tap
and now The Porchester
). It is one of a number of Underground stations named after a local pub.
Royal Oak Portal is the Western tunnel entrance for the Crossrail scheme to link East and West London by main-line railway. The station itself is not part of the Crossrail scheme.