Print-friendly version of this page
The Passmore Edwards Public Library on the Uxbridge Road
, Shepherd’s Bush, was built in 1895 and funded by the journalist and philanthropist Passmore Edwards.
It is one of a number of public libraries that still bear his name today. In 2008 a new library was built in Shepherd’s Bush, part of the substantial Westfield London
development, and the Passmore Edwards library fell into disuse. In October 2011 it re-opened as the new home of the Bush Theatre
Shepherd's Bush is an area of west London in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
|VIEW THE SHEPHERDS BUSH AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE SHEPHERDS BUSH AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE SHEPHERDS BUSH AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE SHEPHERDS BUSH AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE SHEPHERDS BUSH AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
Although it is primarily residential in character, its focus is the shopping area of Shepherd's Bush Green, with the Westfield shopping centre lying a short distance to the north. The main thoroughfares are Uxbridge Road
, Goldhawk Road
and Askew Road
, all containing a large number of small and mostly independent shops, pubs and restaurants. The Loftus Road
football stadium in Shepherd's Bush is home to Queens Park Rangers F.C.. In 2011, the population of the area was 39,724.
The district is bounded by Hammersmith to the south, Holland Park
and Notting Hill to the east, Harlesden to the north and by Acton and Chiswick to the west. White City forms the northern part of Shepherd's Bush. Shepherd's Bush comprises the Shepherd's Bush Green, Askew, and White City wards.