New Inn Passage (1901)

Image dated 1891

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.229.97.16 
Adam Street · Adelphi Terrace · Africa House · Aldwych · Aldwych · Aldwych · Alsatia · Arundel Street · Atkin Building · Bainbridge Street · Bainbridge Street · Bear Street · Beaumont Buildings · Bedford Row · Bell Yard · Blackfriars · Blackfriars Bridge railway station · Blackmoore Street (1902) · Bleeding Heart Yard · Bloomsbury Square · Bloomsbury Street · Boswell Street · British Museum · British Museum · Buses outside the National Gallery · Cambridge Circus · Carey Street · Carting Lane · Catherine Street · Catton Street · Cecil Court · Chancery Lane · Chancery Lane · Charing Cross · Charing Cross · Charterhouse Street · City Temple · Clare Market · Clare Market · Clement’s Inn · Coptic Street · Courtauld Institute of Art · Covent Garden · Cowcross Street · Cranbourn Street · Crown Court · Dane Street · Devereux Court · Drury Lane · Dyer’s Buildings · Eagle Street · East Harding Street · Elmhurstreet Villas · Ely Place · Embankment · Embankment · Endell Street · Exeter Street · Falcon Court · Farringdon · Farringdon Road · Farringdon Road · Farringdon Street · Farringdon Street · Field Court · Fisher Street · Fleet Street looking east (c.1920) · Flichcroft Street · Fulwood Place · Garrick Yard · Gate Street · George Court · Goslett Yard · Grays Inn Place · Grays Inn Square Chambers · Grays Inn Square · Great Court · Great Russell Street · Great Turnstile · Greek Street · Hand Court · Hat and Mitre Court · Hatton Garden · High Holborn · High Holborn · High Holborn · Hobhouse Court · Holborn · Holborn Viaduct · Holborn · Holborn · Houghton Square · Houghton Street (1906) · Houghton Street · Howard Street · Hungerford Stairs · Inner Temple Gardens · Invicta Plaza · Irving Street · Ivybridge Lane · Jockeys Fields · John Adam Street · Kean Street · Kemble Street · Kingsgate Street · Kingsway · Kingsway · Lamb’s Conduit Passage · Leather Lane · Leicester Square · Leicester Square · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lincolns Inn Fields · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lion Court · Lisle’s Tennis Court · Little Turnstile · London Borough Of Southwark · London Hippodrome · Ludgate Circus (1873) · Lyndhurstreet Grove · Magpie Alley · Manette Street · Maple Leaf Walk · Martlett Court · May’s Court · Melbourne Place · Montague Place · Montreal Place · Museum Street · New Inn Passage (1901) · New Oxford Street · New Oxford Street · New Square Passage · Newport Court · Newton Street · Norfolk Street · North East Wing Bush House · North West Wing Bush House · Northumberland Avenue · Northumberland Avenue · Northumberland House · Old Barge House Alley · Orange Street · Orange Street · Pall Mall East · Peabody Trust Estate · Peabody Trust Estate · Pelican Estate · PO Box 11096 · PO Box 13119 · PO Box 13853 · PO Box 3755 · PO Box 48432 · PO Box 55743 · PO Box 63195 · PO Box 65446 · PO Box 65742 · PO Box 73238 · PO Box 73552 · PO Box 73553 · PO Box 74052 · PO Box 74054 · PO Box 74391 · Portsmouth Street · Portugal Street · Princeton Street · Procter Street · Proctor Street · Quality Court · Raymond Buildings · Red Lion Court · Red Lion Square · Red Lion Street · River Terrace · Riverside Walk · Robert Street · Rolls Buildings · Royal Opera House · Russell Street · Saffron Hill · Saint Andrew Street · Saint Cross Street · Saint Giles High Street · Saint Martin’s Lane · Saint Martin’s Court · Saint Martin’s Place · Sandland Street · Sardinia House · Sardinia Street · Sardinia Street · Savoy Hill · Savoy Way · Serle Street · Shaftesbury Avenue · Sheffield Street · Shelton Street · Shipley's Drawing School · Showing every photo/image so far featured · Sicilian Avenue · Smithfield · Sounding Alley · South Square · South Square · Southampton Row · Spring Gardens · St Andrew · St Brides Avenue · St Clement’s Passage · St Clements Lane · St Etheldreda’s Church · St Giles · St Giles House · St. James’s Drive · St. Thomas’s Square · Staple Inn · Staple Inn Buildings · Stedham Place · Strand (1890s) · Strand Lane · Strand Underpass · Strand · Strand · Strand · Tallis Street · Tavistock Street · Temple · Temple Bar · Thavie’s Inn · The Adelphi · The Arcade · The Crown · The Crown · The Edmund J. Safra Fountain Court · The Gallery · The Strand · Theobald’s Road · Thomas Neal’s shopping centre · Trafalgar Square · Tweezer’s Alley · Upper Saint Martin’s Lane · Upper St Martin’s Lane · Verulam Buildings · Victoria Embankment Gardens · Victoria Embankment · Victoria House · Villiers Street · Warwick Court · Water Street · Watergate Walk · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · West Central Street · Whetstone Park · Wild Court · Wild Street (1902) · William IV Street · Willoughby Street · Wych Street · Wyld’s Great Globe · York Place · Yorkshire Grey Yard
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Photo taken in a southeasterly direction · Holborn · WC2A ·
APRIL
3
2014
The corner of Houghton Street and New Inn Passage taken on a 1901 photo just prior to the clearence of the area for the Aldwych-Kingsway improvement scheme.

The area was part of the 'Clare Market Slum', a cluster of narrow, dirty streets lined with butchers' and greengrocers' shops.

Clare Market was originally centred on a small market building constructed by Lord Clare in c.1657, but the retail area spread through a maze of narrow interconnecting streets.

Butchers would slaughter sheep and cattle for sale. An area was set aside for Jews to slaughter kosher meat. The market mostly sold meat, although fish and vegetables were also sold. An early theatre was in Gibbon's Tennis Court, in the Clare Market area.

A club of artists, including William Hogarth, met at the Bull's Head Tavern in the market.

The area was not affected by the Great Fire of London, and the decrepit Elizabethan buildings survived until the area, by then a slum, was redeveloped by the London County Council in around 1900 to create the Aldwych and Kingsway.

Parts of the London School of Economics now occupy the site, and the name is commemorated in an academic journal published by the university, entitled The Clare Market Review. Furthermore, Ralf Dahrendorf, the former director of the LSE, chose the title Baron Dahrendorf of Clare Market when he was made a life peer in 1993. One of the main buildings at the centre of the LSE Campus is called the Clare Market Building.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Holborn

Holborn is both an area and also the name of the area's principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles's High Street and Gray's Inn Road and then Holborn Viaduct between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.

The area's first mention is in a charter of Westminster Abbey, by King Edgar, dated to 959. This mentions 'the old wooden church of St Andrew' (St Andrew, Holborn). The name Holborn may be derived from the Middle English hol for hollow, and bourne, a brook, referring to the River Fleet as it ran through a steep valley to the east.

It was at first outside the City's jurisdiction and a part of Ossulstone Hundred in Middlesex. The original Bars were the boundary of the City of London from 1223, when the City's jurisdiction was extended beyond the Walls, at Newgate, into the suburb here, as far as the point where the Bars where erected, until 1994 when the border moved to the junction of Chancery Lane. In 1394 the Ward of Farringdon Without was created, but only the south side of Holborn was under its jurisdiction with some minor properties, such as parts of Furnival's Inn, on the northern side.

The Holborn District was created in 1855, consisting of the civil parishes and extra-parochial places of Glasshouse Yard, Saffron Hill, Hatton Garden, Ely Rents and Ely Place, St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr and St Sepulchre. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was created in 1900, consisting of the former area of the Holborn District and the St Giles District, excluding Glasshouse Yard and St Sepulchre, which went to the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was abolished in 1965 and its area now forms part of the London Borough of Camden.

In the 18th century, Holborn was the location of the infamous Mother Clap's molly house but in the modern era High Holborn has become a centre for entertainment venues to suit more general tastes: 22 inns or taverns were recorded in the 1860s and the Holborn Empire, originally Weston's Music Hall, stood between 1857 and 1960, when it was pulled down after structural damage sustained in the Blitz. The theatre premièred the first full-length feature film in 1914, The World, the Flesh and the Devil, a 50-minute melodrama filmed in Kinemacolour.

Charles Dickens took up residence in Furnival's Inn, on the site of the former Prudential building designed by Alfred Waterhouse now named Holborn Bars. Dickens put his character Pip, in Great Expectations, in residence at Barnard's Inn opposite, now occupied by Gresham College. Staple Inn, notable as the promotional image for Old Holborn tobacco, is nearby. The three of these were Inns of Chancery. The most northerly of the Inns of Court, Gray's Inn, is in Holborn, as is Lincoln's Inn: the area has been associated with the legal professions since mediaeval times, and the name of the local militia (now Territorial Army unit, the Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) still reflects that. Subsequently the area diversified and become recognisable as the modern street.

A plaque stands at number 120 commemorating Thomas Earnshaw's invention of the Marine chronometer, which facilitated long-distance travel. At the corner of Hatton Garden was the old family department store of Gamages. Until 1992, the London Weather Centre was located in the street. The Prudential insurance company relocated in 2002. The Daily Mirror offices used to be directly opposite it, but the site is now occupied by Sainsbury's head office.

Hatton Garden, the centre of the diamond trade, was leased to a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Christopher Hatton at the insistence of the Queen to provide him with an income. Behind the Prudential Building lies the Anglo-Catholic church of St Alban the Martyr.

In the early 21st century, Holborn has become the site of new offices and hotels: for example, the old neoclassical Pearl Assurance building near the junction with Kingsway was converted into an hotel in 1999.

Holborn station is located at the junction of High Holborn and Kingsway. Situated on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, it is the only station common to the two lines, although the two lines also cross each other three times in West London.

The station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line) on 15 December 1906 with the name Holborn (Kingsway). Kingsway was a new road, cutting south from High Holborn through an area of cleared slums to Strand. The suffix was dropped from tube maps in the 1960s.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice