Waterloo Air Terminal (1953)

Image dated 1953

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.233.219.101 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Photo taken in a westerly direction · South Bank · SE1 ·
November
25
2012
Officially known as the British European Airways Waterloo Air Terminal, the building was officially opened on the Festival of Britain site on 19 May 1953 by the then Minister of Aviation.

Waterloo Air Terminal (1953)
A helicopter shuttle service between London Airport and Waterloo train station began and the passenger building itself reused part of the Waterloo entrance to the 1951 Festival of Britain.

Two helicopters were used, named Sir Kay and Sir Ector - the UK variants of the Westland-Sikorsky S55 - and could carry five passengers each.

The service carried 3822 passengers before it closed down in 1957.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


VIEW THE SOUTH BANK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOUTH BANK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOUTH BANK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOUTH BANK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOUTH BANK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

South Bank




Print-friendly version of this page