Weymouth Avenue, W5

Road in/near South Ealing, existing between the 1910s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.81.28.94 
Can't see your street on the map? Click here to view a list of local streets
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · South Ealing · W5 ·
August
2
2019
Weymouth Avenue dates from the period of the First World War.


Little Ealing village existed by 1650 and was situated where Little Ealing Lane and Northfield Avenue (then Northfield Lane) and Windmill Road (then Windmill Lane) met. The manor house of Coldhall lay along Little Ealing Lane between the village and South Ealing Road. Until the late 19th century Little Ealing was only a small hamlet.

In 1883, the Metropolitan District Railway built its Hounslow extention as a branch from Acton Town. At first there were two stations in the area - South Ealing and Boston Road (now Boston Manor). By 1908, the Northfields area begun to develop and a halt was built. The station and platforms were then on the west side of Northfield Avenue.

The bridge where Weymouth Avenue now crosses the railway, preceded the laying out of the road and linked the right of way which connected Little Ealing and Allacross Road. Weymouth Road built to connect Little Ealing Lane northwards to Windermere Road, integrated this bridge which forced the line and placement of the road we see today.

Murray Road and Whitestile Road was laid out by the British Land Company in 1883 and some houses stood in Darwin Road by 1896.

Soon the spread of housing around South Ealing station reached Little Ealing. A few small shops were built on the east side of Northfield Avenue, between the Plough inn and Julien Road in 1909.

During the following few years, the grounds of Ealing Park and all the land east to South Ealing Road were covered with terraced or semi-detached houses.

When the Piccadilly line arrived in the early 1930s, a new depot was built at Northfields. This neccessitated the rebuilding of the station with the platforms and station on the other side of Northfield Avenue. The gap between Northfields and South Ealing station diminished - they are very close together now.

London Underground senior management paid a site visit in 1930 and noted how close the new stations were from each other and proposed that South Ealing station be closed. They suggested a replacement statuin further east at Ascott Avenue. South Ealing Road shopkeepers lobbied against the proposal.

London Underground built an entrance to Northfields station in Weymouth Avenue with a ticket office and a long elevated walkway to the Northfields platforms. The proposal to close South Ealing was halted when Brentford FC were promoted, leaving a very curious arrangment in Weymouth Avenue for a few years. South Ealing station was actually demolished and later rebuilt during this period.


 

South Ealing

South Ealing is notable in Underground trivia for having, along with Mansion House, every vowel in its name.

South Ealing station was opened by the District Railway (DR, now the District line), on 1 May 1883 on a line to Hounslow Town (located on Hounslow High Street but now closed).

Electrification of the DR's tracks took place between 1903 and 1905 with electric trains replacing steam trains on the Hounslow branch from 13 June 1905. Piccadilly line services, which had been running non-stop through the station since January 1933, began serving South Ealing from 29 April 1935. From this date, the branch was operated jointly by both lines until District line services were withdrawn on 10 October 1964.

In 2006, the station was refurbished at platform level, providing new signage, passenger shelters, security equipment and public address system.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice