Print-friendly version of this page Battersea Park station was named after the nearby park.
Albert Palace Mansions was built on the site of Albert Palace, a splendid glass pavilion reminiscent of the Crystal Palace in Hyde Park.
Albert Palace Mansions was designed by Gill Knight c.1902 and are a group of eight linked blocks of flats. Each of the two groups of four blocks are of five storeys and is built to the same design.
Battersea Park is a 200 acre green space situated on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Chelsea.
Battersea Park station named after the park, and at first called York Road, opened in 1867.
The first station to carry the name Battersea Park had been opened by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway as Battersea in 1860 and was located at the southern end of what is now Grosvenor Bridge.
It was named Battersea Park on 1 July 1862 but was sometimes called Battersea Park and Steamboat Pier. It closed on 1 November 1870 concurrently with the opening of Grosvenor Road station situated at the north end of Grosvenor Bridge.
The London Brighton and South Coast Railway opened a high-level line between Pouparts Junction and Battersea Pier Junction on 1 May 1867 as a means of reducing congestion at Stewarts Lane.
York Road (Battersea) station opened at this time. The station was renamed Battersea Park and York Road 1 January 1877 and Battersea Park on 1 June 1885.
View copyright notice