The Fleet Market was a market erected in 1736 on the newly culverted River Fleet.
Farringdon Street was constructed over the Fleet river.
The market was located approximately where the modern Farringdon Street
stands today, to the west of the Smithfield
Work began in 1734 to arch over the River Fleet, as it had become an open sewer; and to remove the considerable expense of clearing the river of rubbish and filth. The course of the river was covered between Holborn
Bridge and Fleet Bridge (now Ludgate Circus
). The market, consisting of two rows of open one–storey shops linked by a covered walkway, opened on 30 September 1737. The market replaced the Old Stocks Market that itself had been cleared for the construction of the Mansion House.
To the north of the market, vegetables were sold in an open-air market. The centre was marked by a clock tower; and the south was adjacent to the Fleet Prison.
By 1829, the market was dilapidated and considered an obstacle to the increasing volume of traffic; and was cleared for the construction of Farringdon Road
. Farringdon Market
was constructed to replace it, but was never successful.Source: Fleet Market - Wikipedia
|VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
In this street once stood Fleet Market. When the Fleet Ditch was arched over in 1737, Fleet Market began. It was opened for the sale of meat, fish, and vegetables on the 30 September, 1737; but it did not complete a century of existence here.
In 1829 it was found necessary to widen the thoroughfare from Holborn to Blackfriars Bridge; so Fleet Market was removed from Farringdon Street, and Farringdon Market, in the immediate vicinity, but off the line of the street, was opened instead.
On the east side of Farringdon Street, and on part of the site of the old Fleet Prison, the Congregational Memorial Hall and Library was opened in 1872.
To avoid a dangerous descent of Holborn Hill into the Fleet valley, the Victorians resolved to build a viaduct and high-level bridge over Farringdon Street, supplanting Skinner Street, and form a spacious thoroughfare connecting the City with Holborn and Oxford Street. The works were commenced in May 1863, and it was more than six years before the valley was bridged over, and the viaduct opened to the public. The cost of the improvements considerably exceeded two million pounds.