Mitre Road, SE1

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with most of the buildings dating from the 2000s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
52.201.27.211 
All Hallows’ Church · Anchor Terrace · Aquinas Street · Avon Place · Ayres Street · Bankside way · Barbel Street · Barons Place · Baylis Road · Belvedere Buildings · Blackfriars Bridge railway station · Blackfriars Road railway station · Blackfriars Road · Boundary Row · Boyfield Street · Brockham Street · Bull Inn Court · Burdett Street · Canterbury Music Hall · Cardinal Cap Alley · Centaur Street · Christ Church · Collinson Walk · Cooper Close · Coral Street · Dodson Street · Doon Street · Embankment · Exchange Court · Falcon Point Piazza · Florence Nightingale Museum · Frazier Street · Gambia Street · Gay Street · Gaywood Street · Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park · Geraldine Street · Geraldine Street · Gerridge Street · Gladstone Street · Golden Jubilee Bridge · Gray Street · Great Suffolk Street · Hercules Road · Holland Street · Hopton Street · Hopton's Almshouses · Hulme Place · Hungerford Bridge · Invicta Plaza · Johanna Street · Jubilee Gardens · Kell Street · King’s Place · Lambeth North · Lambeth Road · Lambeth Walk · Lant Street · Launcelot Street · Leake Street · London Aquarium · London Road · Lower Marsh · Mepham Street · Mint Street · Mitre Road · Morley Street · Murphy Street · Murphy Street · Necropolis Station · Nelson Square · Newington Gardens · Nicholson Street · Oakey Lane · Old Barge House Alley · Old Vic · Ontario Street · Peabody Square · Pear Place · Pearman Street · Pontypool Place · Porter Street · Price’s Street · Riverside Walk · Rushworth Street · Saint George’s Road · Samford Street · Savoy Place · Savoy Place · Sawyer Street · Scovell Crescent · Short Street · Silex Street · Southbank Centre Square · Southbank · Southwark · Southwark Bridge · Southwark Street · St George’s Road · St. Georges Mews · Stamford · Station Approach · Steam Pump Lane · Stopher House · Strand Lane · Sudrey Street · Suthwark Bridge Road · Tanswell Street · Tate Modern · Temple Pier · Temple Place · The Chandlery · The Cut · The Foundry · The Queen’s Steps · The Queen’s Walk · The Queen’s Walk · The Queen’s Walk · The Ring · The Terrace · The Tunnel · Thomas Doyle Street · Toulmin Street · Ufford Street · Union Street · Valentine Place · Victoria Embankment Gardens · Victoria Embankment · Victoria Embankment · View north along Westminster Bridge · Waterloo · Waterloo Air Terminal (1953) · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Centre · Webber Row · Webber Street · Westminster Bridge Road · Whittlesey Street · Windmill Walk · York Road Curve · Young Vic · Zoar Street
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Waterloo · SE1 ·
August
10
2017
Mitre Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area



 

Waterloo

London Waterloo station is a central London railway terminus and London Underground complex. The station is one of 18 in Britain owned and operated by Network Rail and is close to the South Bank of the River Thames.

The London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) opened the station on 11 July 1848 as 'Waterloo Bridge Station' (from the nearby crossing over the Thames) when its main line was extended from Nine Elms. The station, designed by William Tite, was raised above marshy ground on a series of arches. The unfulfilled intention was for a through station with services to the City. In 1886, it officially became Waterloo Station, reflecting long-standing common usage, even in some L&SWR timetables.

It is located in the Waterloo district of London, which was itself named after the Battle of Waterloo in which Napoleon was defeated near Brussels.

As the station grew, it became increasingly ramshackle. The original 1848 station became known as the 'Central Station' as other platforms were added. The new platform sets were known by nicknames - the two platforms added for suburban services in 1878 were the 'Cyprus Station', whilst the six built in 1885 for use by trains on the Windsor line became the 'Khartoum Station'. Each of these stations-within-a-station had its own booking office, taxi stand and public entrances from the street, as well as often poorly marked and confusing access to the rest of the station. This complexity and confusion became the butt of jokes by writers and music hall comics for many years in the late 19th century, including Jerome K. Jerome in Three Men in a Boat.

The present buildings were inaugurated in 1922. Part of the station is a Grade II listed heritage building.

With over 91 million passenger entries and exits between April 2010 and March 2011, Waterloo is easily Britain's busiest railway station in terms of passenger usage. The Waterloo complex is one of the busiest passenger terminals in Europe. It has more platforms and a greater floor area than any other station in the UK (though Clapham Junction, just under 4 miles down the line, has the largest number of trains). It is the terminus of a network of railway lines from Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire, South West England, and the south-western suburbs of London.

Waterloo tube station is, like its namesake, the busiest station on the network and is served by the Bakerloo, Jubilee, Northern and the Waterloo & City lines.

The first underground station at Waterloo was opened on 8 August 1898 by the Waterloo & City Railway (W&CR), a subsidiary of the owners of the main line station, the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR). The W&CR, nicknamed the Drain, achieved in a limited way the L&SWR's original plan of taking its tracks the short distance north-east into the City of London.

On 10 March 1906, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) was opened. On 13 September 1926, the extension of the Hampstead & Highgate line (as the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line was then known) was opened from Embankment to the existing City & South London Railway station Kennington with a new station at Waterloo.

As a subsidiary of the L&SWR and its successor the Southern Railway, the W&CR was not a part of the London Underground system. Following nationalization of the main line railway companies in 1948, it became part of British Railways (later British Rail). Following a period of closure during 1993 when the line was converted to use the four rail electrical system of the London Underground, the ownership of Waterloo & City line was transferred to the Underground on 1 April 1994.

On 24 September 1999, the Jubilee line station was opened as part of the Jubilee Line Extension. The station was temporarily the western terminus of the extension running from Stratford in east London, before the final section to link the extension to the original line was opened between Waterloo and Green Park on 20 November 1999.[9] The Jubilee platforms are at the opposite end of the site from those of the Bakerloo and Northern lines, but the two ends are connected by a 140-metre moving walkway link (one of only two on the Underground - the other gives access to the Waterloo & City line platform at Bank station).

Waterloo station is linked to the South Bank by an elevated walkway. It was once possible to walk directly by elevated walkways and footbridges all the way from the concourse of Waterloo to that of Charing Cross railway station on the north side of the Thames, but the demolition of part of the Waterloo walkway and the reconstruction of the Hungerford Footbridge means that that is no longer possible.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice