Sterry Street, SE1

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.206.168.65 
Aberdour Street · Alice Street · All Hallows’ Church · Anchor Terrace · Angel Place · Archie Street · Avon Place · Avondale Pavement · Ayres Street · Bacon Grove · Bank End · Bankside way · Bankside · Barge House Street · Barnham Street · Bartholomew Street · Bear Gardens · Belvedere Building · Belvedere Buildings · Bermondsey Square · Bermondsey Street · Bevington Path · Black Eagle Yard · Black Friars Road · Black Swan Yard · Blackfriars Bridge railway station · Blackfriars Bridge · Blackfriars Road railway station · Blackfriars Road · Blackfriars Road · Bluelion Place · Borough · Borough Market · Boyfield Street · Brewery Square · Bricklayers Arms Flyover · Bricklayers Arms · Brockham Street · Brook Drive · Brunswick Court · Burge Street · Burrell Street · Burrows Mews · Bursar Street · Bushbaby Close · Cathedral Street · Chapel Court · Charlie Chaplin Walk · Chartes House · Chettle Close · City Walk · Clink St Studios · Clink Street · Cobourg Road Estate · Cobourg Road · Cole Street · Collingwood Street · Collinson Walk · Colombo Street · Crayford House · Crucifix Lane · Curtis Street · Curtis Way · Decima Street · Deverell Street · Dickens Square · Dolben Street · Dunsterville Way · Elephant & Castle (1910) · Elephant and Castle · Elephant and Castle · Elephant Castle Super Bowl · Elliott’s Row · Emerson Street · Empire Square South · English Grounds · Enterprise House · Fair Street · Falcon Point Piazza · Fendall Street · Fenning Street · Flat Iron Square · Floors Lincoln House · Future site of the Globe Theatre · Gay Street · Gaywood Street · George Inn Yard · Globe Street · Grange House · Great Dover Street · Great Guildford Business Square · Great Maze Pond · Great Suffolk Street · Green Dragon Court · Green Walk · Griggs Place · Griggs Road · Guinness Court · Hamlet Way · Hankey Place · Harbledown House · Hardwidge Street · Hartley Buildings · Hatchers Mews · Hay’s Lane · Hayles Street · Holyrood Street · Hopton's Almshouses · Hoxton Square · Hulme Place · Hunter Close · Invicta Plaza · Joan Street · John Maurice Close · Joiner Street · Joiner Street · Junction Approach · Kell Street · King’s Place · Kipling Street · Kirby Grove · Lamb Walk · Lamlash Street · Lansdowne Place · Lant Street · Larnaca Works · Law Street · Leathermarket Court · Leathermarket Court · Leathermarket Street · Lockyer Estate · Loncroft Road · London and South Western Railway Depot · London Bridge · London Bridge · London Bridge · London Road · Long Lane · Lower Road · Magdalen Street · Maiden Lane · Maidstone Buildings Mews · Maltings Place · Manciple Street · Mansell Street · Market Yard Mews · Mason Close · Mason Street · Meakin Estate · Melior Place · Melior Street · Merrick Square · Meymott Street · Middle Yard · Milroy Walk · Mint Street · Montague Close · More London Place · More London Riverside · Morgans Lane · Mudchute Kitchen Frizzante · Mudchute Park and Farm · Mulvaney Way · Nebraska Street · Nelson Square · New Globe Walk · New Kent Road · Newhams Row · Newington Court · Newington Gardens · Nicholson Street · Ontario Street · Oswin Street · Otford House · Oxford Drive · Oxo Tower Wharf Barge House Street · Oystergate Walk · Pardoner Street · Paris Garden · Park Street · Pastor Street · Perkins Square · Pickfords Wharf · Pilgrimage Street · Pope Street · Porlock Street · Porter Street · Potters Fields · Price’s Street · Prioress Street · Quadrangle Close · Queen’s Head Yard · Radcliffe Road · Redcross Way · Rennie Street · Rich Industrial Estate · Riverside Walk · Rose Alley · Rothsay Street · Royal Oak Yard · Sawyer Street · Scoresby Street · Scovell Crescent · Searles Road · Shand Street · Shipwright Yard · Shorter Street · Shorter Street · Snowsfields · Soho Wharf · Southwalk Street · Southwark · Southwark Street · Spurgeon Street · St Paul’s · St Thomas Street · Staple Street · Sterry Street · Stevens Street · Stoney Street · Sudrey Street · Sugar Quay Walk · Sugar Quay Walk · Sumner Street · Swan Court · Swan Street · Tabard Street · Talbot Yard · Tanner Street · Tate Modern · The Grain Stores · The Jam Factory · The Leather Market · The Leathermarket · The Ring · The Tanneries · The Terrace · Theobald Street · Thomas Doyle Street · Thrale Street · Tooley Street · Toulmin Street · Tower Bridge Road · Tower Bridge · Trinity Church Square · Trinity Street · Tulip House · Tyers Gate · Union Street · Vine Lane · Vintage Yard · Weavers Lane · Webb Street · Weston Street · White Hart Yard · Whites Grounds Estate · Whites Grounds · Wilds Rents · Winchester Square · Winchester Walk · Wood’s Place · Zoar Street
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Southwark · SE1 · Contributed by The Underground Map
August
12
2017
Sterry Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area



 

Southwark

Southwark is the area immediately south of London Bridge, opposite the City of London.

Southwark is on a previously marshy area south of the River Thames. Recent excavation has revealed prehistoric activity including evidence of early ploughing, burial mounds and ritual activity. The area was originally a series of islands in the River Thames. This formed the best place to bridge the Thames and the area became an important part of Londinium owing its importance to its position as the endpoint of the Roman London Bridge. Two Roman roads, Stane Street and Watling Street, met at Southwark in what is now Borough High Street.

At some point the Bridge fell or was pulled down. Southwark and the city seem to have become largely deserted during the Early Middle Ages. Archaeologically, evidence of settlement is replaced by a largely featureless soil called the Dark Earth which probably (although this is contested) represents an urban area abandoned.

Southwark appears to recover only during the time of King Alfred and his successors. Sometime in and around 886 AD the Bridge was rebuilt and the City and Southwark restored. Southwark was called ’Suddringa Geworc’ which means the ’defensive works of the men of Surrey’. It was probably fortified to defend the bridge and hence the re-emerging City of London to the north. This defensive role is highlighted by the use of the Bridge as a defense against King Swein, his son King Cnut and in 1066, against King William the Conqueror. He failed to force the Bridge during the Norman conquest of England, but Southwark was devastated.

Much of Southwark was originally owned by the church - the greatest reminder of monastic London is Southwark Cathedral, originally the priory of St Mary Overy.

During the Middle Ages, Southwark remained outside of the control of the City and was a haven for criminals and free traders, who would sell goods and conduct trades outside the regulation of the City Livery Companies. An important market - later to become known as the Borough Market - was established there some time in the 13th century. The area was renowned for its inns, especially The Tabard, from which Chaucer’s pilgrims set off on their journey in The Canterbury Tales.

After many decades’ petitioning, in 1550, Southwark was incorporated into the City of London as ’The Ward of Bridge Without’. It became the entertainment district for London, and it was also the red-light area. In 1599, William Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre was built on the South Bank in Southwark, though it burned down in 1613. A modern replica, also called the Globe, has been built near the original site. Southwark was also a favorite area for entertainment like bull and bear-baiting. There was also a famous fair in Southwark which took place near the Church of St. George the Martyr. William Hogarth depicted this fair in his engraving of Southwark Fair (1733).

In 1844 the railway reached Southwark with the opening of London Bridge station.

In 1861 the Great Fire of Southwark destroyed a large number of buildings between Tooley Street and the Thames, including those around Hays Wharf, where Hays Galleria was later built, and blocks to the west almost as far as St Olave’s Church.

In 1899 Southwark was incorporated along with Newington and Walworth into the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark, and in 1965 this was incorporated with the Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell and Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey into the London Borough of Southwark.

Southwark tube station was opened on 20 November 1999 as part of the Jubilee Line Extension.

The original plan for the Extension did not include a station between those at Waterloo and London Bridge; Southwark station was added after lobbying by the local council. Although it is close to Waterloo, not near the Bankside attractions it was intended to serve, and its only rail interchange is to London Waterloo East mainline station; the passenger usage matches those of other minor central stations. It does however get over double the traffic of nearby Borough station and around triple Lambeth North.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice