Galbraith Street, E14
Road in/near Cubitt Town, existing between 1881 and now
Print-friendly version of this page This section of Poplar was developed as part of the Port of London in 1840s and 1850s by William Cubitt, Lord Mayor of London (1860–1862).
Galbraith Street was begun in Victorian times.
The street was reduced in length when the local council built a new post-war estate, demolishing the houses which had not already been destroyed during the Blitz.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Cubitt Town lies on the eastern side of the Isle of Dogs. William Cubitt was responsible for the early housing which accommodated the growing population of dockworkers and shipbuilders.
Along with the housing, Cubitt also created many local businesses.
Bangladeshi and East Asian immigrant populations became established after the 1950s.
During the 1960s and 1970s, high-rise estates began to be built and during the 1990s and afterwards, the Canary Wharf
complex attracted a different mix of people.