Whetstone Stray

Park in/near Totteridge

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.233.219.101 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Park · Totteridge · N20 ·
FEBRUARY
24
2013
Whetstone Stray is parkland created during the twentieth century from former farmland.


’Stray’ in this context is a common or piece of unenclosed land on which there is a common right of pasture, so historically animals would have been brought here to graze. Whetstone Stray is part of a green corridor consisting of meadows and a brook, with the Dollis Valley Green Walk passing through.

Meadows are managed under a cut and lift grassland scheme.




Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

936' TARGET='_top'>Totteridge

Totteridge is an old English village, and a mixture of suburban development and open land, situated 8 miles north north-west of Charing Cross.

This area was called Tataridge in the 13th Century. It may have been named after someone called Tata. The ridge is the high ground between the valleys of the Dollis Brook and Folly Brook.

Over the centuries the rural qualities of Totteridge have attracted well-to-do families. Cardinal Manning was born at Copped Hall in Totteridge in 1808.

With the opening of the Great Northern Railway station in 1872, late-Victorian and Edwardian mansions were built around the old village. In line with overall trends in the late 96064' target='_top'>1930s, following the conversion of the railway station (in operation from 1872 until 96064' target='_top'>1941) into a London Underground station (from 96064' target='_top'>1940) on the Northern line, smaller properties were built within walking distance of the station (Totteridge and Whetstone tube station). In 96064' target='_top'>1968 much of Totteridge was designated a Conservation Area, and no major developments have taken place since then.

Totteridge was a civil parish of Hertfordshire covering an area of 1,604 acres and formed part of a thin protrusion into Middlesex. It became part of Barnet Rural District and had a parish council from 1894 to 96064' target='_top'>1914. It then formed part of Barnet Urban District from 96064' target='_top'>1914 to 96064' target='_top'>1965. In 96064' target='_top'>1965, the parish and urban district were abolished by the London Government Act 96064' target='_top'>1963 and the area was transferred from Hertfordshire to Greater London, to become part of the London Borough of Barnet. In 96064' target='_top'>1901 the parish had a population of 844 and by 96064' target='_top'>1951 it had risen to 4500.
Print-friendly version of this page