Saint Edmund’s Terrace, NW8

Road in/near St John's Wood, existing between 2008 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
107.23.176.162 
Abbey Gardens · Abercorn Close · Abercorn Walk · Acacia Road · Ainger Road · Albert Terrace Mews · Albert Terrace · Allitsen Road · Alma Square · Aquila Street · Ashbridge Street · Ashmill Street · Ashmill Street · Aubrey Place · Avenue Close · Avenue Road · Barbara Brosnan Court · Belgrave Gardens · Bernhardt Crescent · Blenheim Road · Blenheim Terrace · Bolton Road · Boundary Road · Boydell Court · Briary Close · Bridge Approach · Bridgeman Street · Broadley Street · Broadwalk · Broxwood Way · Capland Street · Carlton Hill · Cavendish Avenue · Cavendish Close · Chalcot Crescent · Chalcot Square · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm Road · Charlbert Street · Charles Lane · Church Street · Circus Road · Clifton Court · Clifton Hill · Cochrane Mews · Cochrane Street · Cropthorne Court · Culworth Street · Cunningham Place · Denning Close · Dobson Close · Dorman Way · Eamont Street · Eliot Mews · Elm Tree Road · Elsworthy Road · Elsworthy Terrace · Erskine Mews · Erskine Road · Finchley Road · Fisherton Street · Frampton Street · Garden Road · Greenberry Street · Grendon Street · Grove End Road · Hall Road · Hamilton Close · Hamilton Gardens · Hamilton Terrace · Hatton Street · Henderson Drive · Henstridge Place · Hill Road · Hillside Close · Hillside Close · Hornby Close · Jerome Crescent · Juniper Crescent · King Henry’s Road · Kingsmill Terrace · Langford Place · Lisson Grove · Lodge Road · Loudoun Road · Luton Street · Mallory Street · Marlborough Hill · Marlborough Place · Meadowbank · Melina Place · Middle Field · Miles Buildings · Newcourt Street · Norfolk Road · North Bank · Northwick Close · Northwick Terrace · Nugent Terrace · Oppidans Mews · Oppidans Road · Ordnance Hill · Ormonde Terrace · Paveley Street · Penfold Street · Penfold Street · Plympton Place · Primrose Hill Road · Prince Albert Road · Queen’s Grove · Queen’s Terrace · Queensmead · Quickswood · Radlett Place · Regent’s Canal Towpath · Regent’s Park Road · Regent's Park · Regents Mews · Regent’s Park · Rodney Court · Rossetti Mews · Rudgwick Terrace · Ryder’s Terrace · Saint Edmund’s Terrace · Saint George’s Terrace · Saint John’s Wood High Street · Saint John’s Wood Road · Saint John’s Wood Terrace · Salisbury Street · Sandringham Court · Scott Ellis Gardens · Sharples Hall Street · Springfield Road · St Edmund’s Terrace · St Edmund’s Terrace · St James’s Close · St John’s Wood High Street · St John’s Wood Park · St John’s Wood Road · St John’s Wood Terrace · St John's Wood · St Stephen’s Close · St. John’s Hall Flats · Swain Street · Swiss Terrace · Tatham Place · The Broadwalk · The Broadwalk · The Lane · The Marlowes · Titchfield Road · Townshend Estate · Townshend Road · Tresham Crescent · Vale Close · Violet Hill · Wadham Gardens · Waverley Place · Wellington Place · Wellington Road · Wells Rise · Whitehaven Street · Winchester Road · Woronzow Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · St John's Wood · NW8 ·
December
14
2017
This is a street in the NW8 postcode area



 

St John's Wood

St John's Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent's Park.

St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex. The name derives from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order, which took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323. After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park, to the north of which lay St John’s Wood. Apart from short periods during the reign of Mary Tudor and Cromwell’s Protectorate, the area known as The St John’s Wood Estate remained Crown land until 1688.

Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area remained in agricultural use.

St John's Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density 'villa' housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century, even in expensive districts. Parts of St John's Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density, but it remains a highly desirable residential district, and one of the most expensive areas of London.

St John's Wood is the location of Lord's Cricket Ground, home of Middlesex County Cricket Club and the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), and original headquarters of the sport. It is also famous for Abbey Road Studios and the street Abbey Road, where The Beatles recorded, notably the Abbey Road album, the cover of which features the band crossing the road. Sir Paul McCartney has owned a property in the area since the 1960s and is regularly seen strolling along St John's Wood High Street.

The Rolling Stones referenced St John's Wood in their song Play With Fire. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John's Wood, in the 1960s.

St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line's services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979.
With the opening of St John's Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord's (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John's Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.

The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord's Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.

The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice