Whitehouse Farm

Farm in/near Borehamwood, existed between 1799 and 1949

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.175.120.174 
Can't see your street on the map? Click here to view a list of local streets
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Farm · Borehamwood · WD6 ·
JANUARY
4
2018
Whitehouse Farm was situated along Furzehill Road.


By the middle of the nineteenth century, most of Boreham Wood’s farmland consisted of enclosed fields surrounded by hedgerows. Many of the enclosed farm fields had been given names, such as ‘Straw Meadow’ and ‘Two Acre’, these were often shown on land sale maps of that era.

The two main local landowners were Lord Aldenham and the Earl of Strafford. The Church of England also had a significant holding, and they owned Whitehouse Farm.

Whitehouse Farm dated to the 18th century and originally spread over 200 acres. After the railway became established in the area, the population grew and as new industries were introduced more houses and roads were required, Drayton Road being the first in Boreham Wood. Developers began buying plots of land, mainly off of Shenley Road and Whitehouse Farm began to shrink. Road building off the north side of Shenley Road reached by 1918 as far to the east as Clarendon Road.

Between the wars, the founding of the film studios and work starting on the Laings estate off Elstree Way, resulted in large areas of farmland being lost. Even so, during World War Two, farms were utilised to their limit, with many other open spaces being put to agricultural use.

Postwar, the London County Council needed land to house London’s ‘population overspill’ and made a compulsory purchase of Laing’s land off Elstree Way, as well as farmland to the east
of Theobald Street. Other farms which disappeared after this include Manor, Cranes, Oak, Bullbaiters (Bullhead) and Thrift. All of these are remembered with a road name. Among others that were lost were Tilehouse, Theobald, and Hilltop (Elstree).

By the 1950s, the Whitehouse estate was no longer farmed and had shrunk down to about four acres.

VIEW THE BOREHAMWOOD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BOREHAMWOOD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BOREHAMWOOD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BOREHAMWOOD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BOREHAMWOOD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Borehamwood

Borehamwood is a town of approximately 30 000 residents in southern Hertfordshire, just outside London, and part of the London commuter belt.

Borehamwood, more commonly called Boreham Wood before the LCC estate was built, is part of the borough of Hertsmere. The town is often associated with the nearby village Elstree (being part of the ancient parish of Elstree), the two still share a local council, now called the Elstree and Borehamwood Town Council.

The A1 passes just to the east of the town, and the M25 passes about two miles north of it.

Since the 1920s, the town has been the location of several film studios. The former British National Studios on Clarendon Road are now the BBC’s Elstree Television Studios. One of BBC’s popular soaps, EastEnders, is produced at the BBC studios, as well as popular medical drama Holby City. ’Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’, ’Big Brother’ and major feature films are filmed at the Elstree Studios in Shenley Road.
Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice