Print-friendly version of this page
Lee Street was built by Southgate and Colney Hatch Gas Light and Coke Limited.
New Southgate was formerly known as the hamlet of Betstile.
Southgate and Colney Hatch Gas Light and Coke Limited built a gasworks in 1858. Lee Street and Albert Street
were provided for the gas company’s workers. When Station Road
was partly redeveloped in the 1970s, both Lee Street and Albert Street
disappeared under the bulldozer.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|ADD A STORY TO LEE STREET|
Before 1815 most of the houses lay in Hertfordshire or Edmonton, apart from Betstile House on the corner of Friern Barnet and Oakleigh roads, but by 1846 others stood north of the road, on the site of the former Friern great park, and the former Friern Little park in Oakleigh Road had been divided into plots with cottages. Since the mid 19th century Betstile has been better known as New Southgate.
The railway station was built in 1851 as Colney Hatch & New Southgate or Colney Hatch changed its name five times such as from New Southgate for Colney Hatch to New Southgate and Friern Barnet on 1 May 1923; its current name dates to 1971.
View copyright notice