Turley Close, E15

Road in/near Plaistow

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.233.221.149 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Plaistow · E15 ·
JANUARY
17
2020
Turley Close is named Wally Turley, a sub officer in the West Ham Fire Brigade.



Abbey Road School had been built in the 19th century. Once the schoolchildren had been evacuated as the Second World War began, the school was converted for use for the West Ham Fire Brigade. It was bombed during the latter half of the war and never reopened as a school.

The school was demolished and then homes and flats were built as Turley Close.

Wally Turley himself was killed along with his crew and members of the ARP on 7 September 1940 at Bridge Road Depot, when it was hit by one of the first bombs of the London Blitz.


Main source: Friends of Abbey Gardens
Further citations and sources




 

Plaistow

Plaistow is a district in the London Borough of Newham and forms the majority of the London E13 postcode district.

Plaistow Road is a former Roman road.

Plaistow, as a name, is believed to come from Sir Hugh de Plaitz who, in 1065, married Philippa de Montfitchet, whose family owned the district. She is reputed to have named it the Manor of Plaiz. A stow was a place of assembly.

Daniel Defoe’s 1724 work, ’Tour of the Eastern Counties’ mentions Plaistow as a town in which there had been much new building as well as repairs to existing houses.

The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway line from Bow to Barking was constructed through the middle of the Parish of West Ham in 1858. The new line opened with stations at Bromley, Plaistow and East Ham.

James Thorne, in his 1876 ’Handbook to the Environs of London’ recounts the changes to the village of Plaistow, with the gentry and merchants having gone and the occupations of the residents changed from agricultural and pastoral to manufacturing.

In 1886 Plaistow became part of the new County Borough of West Ham.

The area was heavily damaged during the Second World War. Plaistow North is largely made up of a local authority housing estate constructed in the 1960s on a bomb-damaged site. The estate has again undergone a major redevelopment programme. In 2012, Plaistow South was named as one of fifty areas of England to share in a Big Lottery Scheme grant of £200M to fund locally-designed projects to improve the area.
Print-friendly version of this page