Kingsgate Road, NW6

Kingsgate Road runs between Quex Road and Hemstal Road.

In 1875, building spread northward from Quex Road west of a house called The Chimes. Kingsgate Road, named after a place in Kent, stretched northward. 77 houses were built there between 1878 and 1888.

Another 30 houses and 6 shops were added in Kingsgate Road between 1892-6.

In 1969 the whole of the area bounded by Edgware Road, West End Lane, and the railway lines was made a general improvement area. The first phase, a council estate called Florence Cayford, later Webheath, designed by the borough architect Sidney Cook, was opened in two stages, in 1970 and 1972, to house 400 people on a site cleared of the notorious slums in the Netherwood Street and Palmerston Road area. In 1975 on the Kingsgate estate to the south 146 new houses were built in the area south of Gascony Avenue and west of Kingsgate Road, and there was building in Smyrna Road.

return to article