Agar Place, NW1

Agar Place is a survivor of Agar Town.

The stretch of countryside between the future site of Agar Place and the future site of King’s Cross Station was leased by ’Counsellor’ William Agar, QC in 1816.

A quarter of a century later, he started to cover his fields with tightly-packed rows of two- and four-roomed workers’ cottages. Agar Town, as it became known, turned into a notorious slum area, crowded with the poor of St Giles whose homes were destroyed when New Oxford Street was formed. Agar Town was built over in turn by the Midland Railway.

Agar Place stood slightly apart from the rest of Agar Town and survives to this day.

return to article