All Saints Road, W11
Still from ’A Hard Day’s Night’
Built between 1852-61, All Saints Road is named after All Saints Church on Talbot Road.

The church of All-Saints-With-St Columb was built by the the Reverend Samuel Walker, who came from St Columb Major, near St Ervan Cornwall: hence also the names of nearby Cornwall Crescent and St Ervan’s Road.

In 1852, Walker bought several fields of Portobello Farm and spent thousands of pounds developing them, starting with the church.

The church was isolated and derelict for ten years and local residents and irreverently called it ’Walker’s Folly’ or ’All Sinners in the Mud.

By the 1950s, All Saints Road was attracting its first West Indian immigrants. Nearby was the Tavistock Road lodging house of Mrs Fisher, who was known as the first Notting Hill landlady to rent to black people.

Amongst many cinematic claims to fame, Ringo Starr’s ’walkabout’ from ’A Hard Day’s Night’ partly took place in the street.

The Westway motorway was built to the north of All Saints Road in 1969 and between then and the mid 1980s, the crime rate here was amongst the worst in London. However, establishments such as the Mangrove and Apollo put the road at the cultural heart of W11.

The gentrification of Notting Hill started in the late 1980s not leaving All Saints Road behind. Properties are now measured in the millions of pounds and trendy restaurants have moved in.

return to article