Amelia Street, SE17
Amelia Street
Credit: Ideal Homes
Amelia Street originally consisted of late 19th century tenement blocks built by James Pullen, a local builder, between 1886 and 1901.

Amelia Street predated most of the streets in the area being of eighteenth century origin.

James Pullen & Son, who advertised themselves as “lead burners and manufacturers of the patent cast lead D trap & plumbers’, tinmen’s and blow pipe solder”, had a builder’s yard in Amelia Street and traded from premises at 73 Penton Place, Kennington Park Road.

Pullen acquired property in the area and the first block was erected in 1886 at the Penton Place end of Amelia Street. This was surrounded by controversy, as by-law approval for the development had been refused by the Metropolitan Board of Works.

The first two blocks were condemned upon completion but that they were allowed to remain when Mr Pullen agreed to change the design.

During the 1980s the buildings between Manor Place and the south side of Amelia Street were demolished by the council using their housing improvement powers. The demolition of the rest of the Pullens Estate was prevented when squatters, intent on preserving the remainder of an individual late Victorian estate, occupied some of the blocks. 360 of the original 684 flats remain.

The south side of Amelia Street is now an enclosed open space, Pullens Gardens, has been created following the demolition of its tenement block.

return to article