Belmont Road, UB8
Belmont Road in Edwardian times with St Margaretís Parish Hall
Credit: Hillingdon Libraries
Belmont Road was the original site for Uxbridge station.

Uxbridge Common was enclosed in the 17th century to provide sites for country residences. Blue House or Belmont on the Common, west of the Harefield Road, was built in the late 17th century. The name for the house became the name for the road which was built to connect the Common with the town centre.

Uxbridge was a major centre for Quakers since 1658. The Friends Meeting House on the corner of Belmont Road and York Road dates from 1817 but this had replaced the original 1692 Meeting House on this site.

Also in the road, the Uxbridge Lancasterian or British School was a school for children ’of all labouring people or mechanics’ based in the Uxbridge Market House until premises in Belmont Road were erected in 1816.

Victorian housing became established in the road with building stretching from the Uxbridge end.

At the end of the nineteenth century, the Harrow and Uxbridge Railway Company was established under the auspices of the ’Harrow and Uxbridge Railway Act’ (1897). It was they who built the line from Harrow to Uxbridge, subsequently operated by the Metropolitan Railway.

The Metropolitan opened their terminus at Belmont Road, Uxbridge on 4 July 1904. The reason for the Belmont Road location was to permit an extension to High Wycombe which was never built.

On 4 December 1938 the station was resited closer to the town centre. For many years the station was used as a warehouse but it was demolished in the late 1960s and is now beneath a supermarket car park.

return to article