Brick Lane, E2
The northernmost section of Brick Lane lies within the E2 postcode.

Formerly called Whitechapel Lane, Brick Lane was named after the brick manufacture that took place in the area after the 15th century.

In 1890, the northernmost section was extended northwards across Bethnal Green Road as far as Columbia Road, absorbing Tyssen Street and Turk Street.

In the 1950s, this north section was truncated below Chambord Street.

return to article