Caldwell Street, SW9
Caldwell Street (then Holland Street) in 1920
Credit: London Borough of Lambeth

Caldwell Street was originally called Holland Street.

It was built just before the 1830s dawned and was named Holland Street after Henry Richard Vassall, the third Baron Holland who owned this area.

The road was once a shopping street and was renamed Caldwell Street in the 1930s.

Only a small section of the original street remains on the western side and a tiny cottage on the far eastern end by Brixton Road.

return to article