Central Square, NW11
View towards Central Square
Credit: Hampstead Garden Suburb trust
Central Square was the original centre of Hampstead Garden Suburb due to the further development of the Suburb in the 1920s and 1930s, it is now located towards the west.

Raymond Unwin’s 1905 preliminary plan of Hampstead Garden Suburb defined a central area containing churches and public buildings with a formal approach road from the Heath.

By 1908 the design had become formalised with two central churches and The Institute, dedicated to adult learning. The Institute subsequently became Henrietta Barnet School. It was not possible to mirror the houses on the west of North Square with some on the due to the then land ownership.

Sir Edwin Lutyens finished designs for St Jude’s and the Free Church between 1908 and 1910. The final Central Square layout was complete in 1912.

Central Square was designed as a focus for the spiritual, recreational and community needs of Suburb residents. The centre of the Square is a public garden with tennis courts. The housing was designed for affluent residents but Southwood Court and Bigwood Court were originally intended as flats for the bereaved families of servicemen.

return to article