Charville Lane, UB4

Charville Lane is an ancient lane of Hayes running east-west.

Originally the road connected Pole Hill Road and went as far as West End Road. Since through traffic cannot travel the whole route, the detached section at the eastern end takes an alternative spelling: Sharvel Lane.

While the area between Woodrow Avenue, Kingshill Avenue, and Charville Lane was built up in the late 1930s, Charville Lane is remarkably rural considering its location, with farmland bordering it along much of its length. The soil, described in 1876 as ’clay, loam, and gravel’ is watered by a stream which crosses the road, the Yeading Brook, and which forms part of the eastern boundary of Hayes.



return to article