Cromer Street, WC1H
Cromer Street
Cromer Street originally gave access from Gray’s Inn Road to Greenland Place and a bowling green.

Cromer Street was originally to be called Lucas Street but was renamed soon after its construction in 1818. The line of the future street as a path can be seen on the 1750 and 1800 maps.

Situated on the street, the Church of the Holy Cross was built by Joseph Peacock and dedicated in 1888.

After most of the original 105 houses on the street were demolished, Cromer Street was largely been rebuilt and now consists of over 1000 council and housing properties.

The Boot Tavern, on the corner of Cromer Street, was the headquarters of the Gordon rioters and later was mentioned in Charles Dickens’ book, Barnaby Rudge. It was rebuilt in 1801.

return to article