Frognal, NW3

Frognal, a locality in Hampstead, is also the name of the road linking Finchley Road with Hampstead Village.

The first reference to Frognal is as a customary tenement in the 15th century, probably on the site of the later Frognal House (now 99 Frognal). A ’customary tenement’ was an estate held on condition that the customs of the manor (of Hampstead) were adhered to, which involved performing certain tasks and making various payments.

By the mid-eighteenth century it was a significant settlement, sought after by eminent lawyers, and infill development continued through the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

Only in the 1870s did the road - at first called Frognal Lane - extend southwards to reach Finchley Road.

Frognal has a diverse architecture, with many architecturally notable buildings. The central area, lacking large council estates, has undergone less change than some other parts of Hampstead.

University College School, an independent day school founded in 1830, relocated to Frognal in 1907. Frognall Grove, Grade II listed, (187172) was large house inherited by the architect George Edmund Street, who made additions to it. It was later subdivided into four semi-detached houses.

return to article