Hillyard Street, SW9

Anne Hillyard was the widow of a clergyman who helped fund Stockwell Orphanage in 1867.

Hillyard Street was heavily bombed in the Second World War and there are no surviving original buildings.

The street was originally called Russell Street, named to honour Lord John Russell who was twice Prime Minister in the mid-19th century.

return to article