Holland Villas Road, W14

Holland Villas Road is a wide tree-lined avenue which runs between Upper Addison Gardens and the junction of Addison Crescent and Holland Road.

It is considered one of the most desirable addresses in Holland Park.

The buildings consist mainly of large brick detached villas some are absolutely enormous. Most have front gardens with small driveways and high security gates. Some even have their own swimming pools. At the north end is a modern block of flats called Fitzclarence House. There is also Addisland Court, an 8-storey 1930’s-style block of flats.

The houses in Holland Villas Road are large detached houses of two or three storeys with basements. The builder was James Hall who built the houses over several years from 1857. Hall built about 120 houses in the estate in the 1850s. He also built extensively in the Chepstow Villas and Pembridge Place area. They are similar in size to his houses in Addison Road, but of a more modern design. The central portico entrance door is narrower to make room for large canted bay windows on either side. In place of Georgian balustrades topping the facades, the houses have a more modern construction with the roof slope overhanging the eaves. the houses are brick-faced with stucco finishes at basement level and around the windows. (Nos. 7, 19, 20 and 28 were later demolished.)

At the north end of the street, there is a modern block of flats called Fitzclarence House.

The street still has its Victorian street lamps - but converted from gas to electricity these days.

return to article