St Georges Fields

St George’s Fields are a former burial ground of St George’s, Hanover Square, lying between Connaught Street and Bayswater Road.

St George’s Fields was a burial ground from 1763, and later used for archery, games and as allotments. Nearby is Archery Close.

The land was owned by St George’s Church in Hanover Square, which sold it to developers in 1967 who left a few tombstones, adding character to the gardens. The Utopian Housing Association, the developers, were a housing trust.

The architects, Design 5, used a ziggurat style of building, retaining much of the open space whilst creating 300 dwellings. Parts of the double walls surrounding the burial ground - reputedly designed to frustrate grave robbers - have been preserved along with a number of tombstones.

The estate is now in private ownership although the grounds of St George’s Fields are opened to the public once a year under the London Garden Square Scheme and one of London’s oldest plane trees, with a girth of over 5 metres, may be seen set amongst the other trees.

Although the buildings on the estate are not listed they have been included within the Bayswater Road Conservation Area established by the City of Westminster to preserve the amenities of this historic area.

return to article