Trafalgar Avenue, SE15
Trafalgar Avenue (then Road) in 1925. The bridge on the left went over the Grand Surrey Canal and the Victory pub was on the corner of Trafalgar Avenue and Waite Street.

This area of Peckham, close to the Old Kent Road, was developed from the 1840s onwards.

In the 1850s, north Peckham was developing as a handsome, middle-class suburb. Leading south from the Old Kent Road, Trafalgar Road (later Trafalgar Avenue) was laid out including an earlier bridge (the Trafalgar Bridge) over the Grand Surrey Canal. The canal was filled in during 1970.

On the corner of Trafalgar Avenue and Waite Street, a pub was built: "The Victory".

After the Second World War and its war damage, much of the southern part of Trafalgar Avenue was demolished to make way for parkland.

return to article