Wilby Mews, W11

Wilby Mews was named after Benjamin Wilby, who was involved in several 19th century development schemes.

This cobbled mews off Ladbroke Road beside the Ladbroke Arms public house has some of the oldest mews houses in the Ladbroke area, although they have been significantly altered in most cases. The Mews was originally called Weller Mews or Weller Street Mews after the old name for that part of Ladbroke Road (Weller was the surname of the nephew who inherited the Ladbroke Estate from Richard Ladbroke. the original owner). It seems to have changed its name around 1860, when Nos. 42-52 (evens) Ladbroke Road were built and named Wilby Terrace.

The 1863 Ordnance Survey map shows the mews to be already almost fully built up by then, and several residents are recorded in the 1851 census returns (four coachmen, a postmaster and a cow-keeper). It seems likely that the buildings on the west side of the mews at any rate were built in the 1840s (the houses which they served in Ladbroke Grove were built in the 1830s and 1840s). By 1861, Nos. 2-17 were all occupied, again mostly by coachman. All the buildings would have been two-storey structures, with stables and coach-houses below and accommodation for staff above. Some of the coachmen had very large families; the one living at No. 6 in 1861, for instance, had six children and the one at No. 7 had seven children and a niece living with him and his wife. As late as 1901, the residents of the mews were still mainly coachmen. Later many of the stables became garages, and it was not until the second half of the 20th century that parts of the lower floors were taken over for accommodation.

The stables were almost certainly owned or leased by the houses onto which they backed (with the coachmen working for the families).

return to article