Corner of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road

Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road meet at a junction in the north of Maida Vale.

Park Road - later renamed Kilburn Park Road - was jointly constructed in 1855 to coincide with a project to straighten the course of the Bayswater rivulet (or Westbourne River) which still ran on the surface. The Willesden-Paddington boundary, formerly following the stream, was then redrawn to follow the new route of Kilburn Park Road.

The Westbourne, until the mid 19th century usually called the Bayswater Rivulet, is a union of streamlets rising on the west side of Hampstead Heath and joining together near the Edgware Road at Kilburn.

It flows overall in a southeasterly direction across Paddington. Often straightened and culverted, as the Ranelagh sewer, before being built over, its course was still open in 1871 along the later line of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road.

At the corner of the two roads, the newly channelled stream changed course - north of this corner is ran NNE and, at the corner, turned sharply south west.

Farther south, it had disappeared beneath Formosa Road, Ranelagh (later Lord Hill’s) Road, the western ends of Bishop’s Bridge Road and Cleveland Square, and behind the western side of Gloucester Terrace to Hyde Park, where its valley had been dammed in 1730 to form the Serpentine.

Half way along Shirland Road, the Westbourne was joined by a stream which flowed from Kensal Rise across Queen’s Park. A small eastern tributary, from Marble Arch to the Serpentine, was sometimes called the Tyburn brook but was not the better known Tyburn, which flowed southward across Marylebone.

return to article