Zoar Street, SE1

Zoar Street is named after the former Zoar Chapel here, named for the Biblical Zoara.

Zoar was the  Dead  Sea city where Lot shel­tered - it means (in the biblical sense) ’refuge’ or ’sanctuary’.

The Zoar Chapel was built by the Baptists of Southwark in 1687. It is possible that John Bunyan preached there shortly before his death.

return to article