The King’s Field


King George V donated the King's Field site to the National Playing Fields Association in June 1927 for use by local children.

The park has two tennis courts, football and cricket pitches, play equipment for children of all ages as well as a café and a skate park.

The cafe was for many years a boarded up, a decaying parks pavilion with changing rooms. This building was transformed into a café during 2008. The Park is well known for its skate park and children’s play area.

The King’s Field’s position next to Bushy Park and surrounded by avenues of trees already means that it has an important value as a corridor for wildlife. The site’s proximity to the river is also significant. With its small patches of bramble and the 17 mature trees on site food and shelter is provided for insects, birds and mammals.

return to article