Figges Marsh

Figges Marsh is a park in Mitcham.

Figges Marsh is just over 10 hectares in size and its open space has an outdoor gym and outdoor table tennis.

It was named after William Figge who occupied the land from 1357. Present-day Carlingford Gardens and Manship Road mark the boundary between Figge’s property and that of the medieval Biggin Farm estate.

As part of Mitcham Common, Figges Marsh was used for grazing until 1923 when the urban district council assumed control. Most of the land was left as meadow until mechanical mowing became possible in the 1940s. Around this time, the surrounding area began to be built up with housing, much of which was erected by the council.

return to article