Monthly Archive: March 2015

Mar 31

Orme’s Green

Westbourne Green had a very refined air in 1795 and was still considered a beautiful rural place in 1820. The Grand Junction canal, passing north of the village between the grounds of Westbourne Farm and Bridge House, was a scenic enhancement, later used to attract expensive building to the area. Although housing was spreading along …

Continue reading »

Mar 27

The modern marathon – invented at White City

The 1908 Olympics are commemorated with a list of athletes inscribed on the side of the BBC Broadcast Centre Building in White City, London W12, and the athletics finish line is marked in the paving outside the building. When the modern Olympics began in Athens in 1896, a race of 40 kilometres, or 24.85 miles, …

Continue reading »

Mar 26

The pubs of Portobello Road

This map was first published in the book Portobello, Its People, Its Past, Its Present, by Shaaron Whetlor and Liz Bartlett, published in 1996 by Kensington & Chelsea Community History Group.

Mar 23

West Hampstead station

Provenance unknown but appears to be the Metropolitan (now Jubilee) line platforms sometime in the 1920s

Mar 17

Shopping in Kilburn High Road (1970s)

What an evocative photo of Kilburn High Road this is – Dolcis, M&S, Lilley & Skinner – all in a row

Mar 14

James Bartle’s Western Iron Works

James Bartle was born in Camborne, Cornwall in 1826 and the 1851 census shows him working in Islington. In 1854 he founded the iron foundry at at 236A Lancaster Road. It made coachwork and iron castings including manhole covers, lamp posts and railings. A great speciality for years was the complete equipment of gasworks plant, …

Continue reading »

Mar 12

A lost view

We just came across these photos nestling deep within the website of the Ruston Mews (Notting Dale) Association. They were taken in 1968 by a resident of the Mews which lies just to the south of Ladbroke Grove station. In those days, the land between the street and the station was a “no man’s land” …

Continue reading »

Mar 09

Westbourne Green

Westbourne Green had only a few houses by 1745, mostly south of the point where Harrow Road had a junction with Westbourne Green Lane (also known as Black Lion Lane) running northward from the Uxbridge Road. A footpath later called Bishop’s Walk (eventually Bishop’s Bridge Road) provided a short cut to Paddington Green. The Red …

Continue reading »

Mar 08

Outside the entrance to the Terrace in Kilburn

  This evocative photo dates from 1908.

Mar 07

Gypsies in Fortune Green

  The image is captioned “Fortune Green, 1887” but it is otherwise unclear if this encampment was on the Green itself or in the area. Some Facebook users have suggested this was on the Hampstead Cemetery grounds before that burial ground was established.  

Older posts «