Monthly Archive: October 2015

Oct 31

Workers at Clapham Junction (1900)

Before the railway came, the Clapham Junction area was rural and specialised in growing lavender – the street Lavender Hill is east of the station. The coach road from London to Guildford ran slightly south of the future station site, past The Falcon public house at the crossroads in the valley between St. John’s Hill …

Continue reading »

Oct 26

The Fall Of The Leaf

Fall of the Leaf; by Walter E Spradbery, 1933 Just as leisure travel into the areas beyond central London was promoted to increase revenue during off-peak periods, commuters were encouraged to live further out from the city in the new suburbs for commercial reasons. Posters advertising days out by Tube, bus or tram were prominently …

Continue reading »

Oct 20

UCL Bloomsbury Project

While the project appears to have finished being put together, the website was still extant at the time of writing. The project’s lifetime was 1 October 2007–30 April 2011. The Leverhulme-funded UCL Bloomsbury Project was established to investigate 19th-century Bloomsbury’s development from swampy rubbish-dump to centre of intellectual life. Led by Professor Rosemary Ashton, with Dr …

Continue reading »

Oct 19

Alsatia

Liberties were areas which existed during the Middle Ages where rights reserved to the king had been devolved into private hands. London has many of them and the Liberty of Whitefriars was just one of them. Whitefriars was a monastery belonging to the Carmelites, just outside the City of London walls, in the ward of …

Continue reading »

Oct 15

Lost London

Lost London is the story of the city as told through the buildings, parks and palaces that are no longer with us. Places like the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens, the leading venue for public entertainment in the city for over 200 years, or the Palace of Whitehall whose 1500 rooms made it the largest royal residence …

Continue reading »

Oct 12

Northumberland Avenue, WC2

In 1608–09, Henry Howard, 1st Earl of Northampton built a house on the eastern side of the former Chapel and Hospital of St. Mary Rounceval, at Charing Cross, including gardens running to the River Thames and adjoining Scotland Yard to the west. The estate became the property of Algernon Percy, 10th Earl of Northumberland when …

Continue reading »

Oct 11

1977: Underground map

One of the final superb-looking designs before the London Underground cartography section started to lose its way.

Oct 06

Upper Richmond Road, SW15

Horses and carriages would have been hired from this stable in Upper Richmond Road (1897). Picture: Wandsworth Museum

Oct 04

Ruislip in 1900

Ruislip was formerly a parish in the county of Middlesex covering the neighbouring areas of Eastcote, Northwood, Ruislip Manor and South Ruislip. This map shows the future site of Ruislip station – with the map dating from 1900 the station is not shown, being opened some years later. The parish appears in the Domesday Book, …

Continue reading »

Oct 01

Hampstead in 1900

Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground. Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of …

Continue reading »