Monthly Archive: February 2017

Feb 28

1766: Jefferys map

Entitled “A New Plan of the City and Liberty of Westminster, Exhibiting all the New Streets & Roads, with the Residences of the Principal Nobility, Public Offices &c. not Extant in any other PlanA New Plan of the City of London and Borough of Southwark, Exhibiting all the New Streets & Roads &c. not Extant …

Continue reading »

Feb 27

Vauxhall Gardens

It is generally accepted that the etymology of Vauxhall is from the name of Falkes de Breauté, the head of King John’s mercenaries, who owned a large house in the area, which was referred to as Faulke’s Hall, later Foxhall, and eventually Vauxhall. The area only became generally known by this name when the Vauxhall …

Continue reading »

Feb 26

White Conduit Street, N1

N.B. Clicking on map markers take you to articles on the main website White Conduit Street was laid out and built up with houses and tenements from the mid-1790s. It was subsequently extended north of the Penton Estate to link up with Cloudesley Road in Islington, but has now been reduced to a short dead-end. …

Continue reading »

Feb 16

Old and New London: Volume 1 – Temple Bar

Old and New London: Volume 1  was a book published in 1878 by Cassell, Petter & Galpin. Now out of print, it was digitised by the British History Online project. Table of contents Citation: Walter Thornbury, Old and New London: Volume 1 (London, 1878) British History Online www.british-history.ac.uk/old-new-london/vol1 Temple Bar was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, …

Continue reading »

Feb 15

Rossington Avenue, WD6

Click on the markers to access locations on the main website Rossington Avenue, built in the 1950s, is situated in the north part of Borehamwood. Like other roads on the original Borehamwood estate, it was named for a settlement near to the A1 road – Rossington, a village in South Yorkshire, later became the site …

Continue reading »